Do I have the correct bucket seats? 1971 Demon 340

-

salami340

Reaction score
So right now in my 71 Demon I have the wrong rear seat. It is a bucket seat car "C55". I might have a lead on a seat frame for a Duster that should be correct but would need new covers. So I want to order legendary covers asap as I know they take 8 months to ship out.

The problem I am having is that Legendary only has a Black/Charcoal seat cover and the bucket seats currently in the car appear to be all black. I gave them a call and according to the guy I talked to all 71 Demon/Duster seats were Black/Charcoal with the code "M6X9" which is present on my fender tag. Is this correct? I attached a picture of the bucket seat which appears to be black and the fender tag for reference. So maybe someone reupholstered the bucket seats in all black at some point? Or are these not the correct seats? Based on several cars I've seen online they appear to be correct and I've seen a few 1971 Demon 340 bucket seat cars that appear to have Black/Black seats front and rear.

To sum up I am trying to make this car as original as possible so I was hoping someone could tell me if the seats should actually be black/charcoal. The guy at Legendary said they could custom order a rear seat cover in all black with a 25% customer up charge so I need to decide if I want to do that our just recover the front and back together.

20231229_154024.jpg

20231229_154342.jpg

My '71 340 with M6X9 are black and charcoal both front and rear. I believe they are original to the car.

I also have a '71 318 Demon parts car with black and charcoal.

My '71 340 with M6X9 are black and charcoal both front and rear. I believe they are original to the car.

I also have a '71 318 Demon parts car with black and charcoal.
Cool thanks, I'm guessing someone must have recovered the buckets at some point with covers from someone other than Legendary (they are in really good shape). So now I need to decide is it worth recovering both or the cheaper option of the custom black rear seat.

My understanding is the Demon 340 should have black/charcoal. My 71 Demon 340 has 1 of each front seats and the black/charcoal rear seat. It was a misbuild as originally built. I've had the car since 84 and got it from the original owner who had never changed seat covers. The 3rd original broadcast sheet was even still intact (rough shape) under the incorrect black/black front seat!

If it were me, I’d order the custom all black rear seat to save a bit a money but I do understand wanting to keep it as original as possible too.

If you do order all the covers in black/charcoal, Legendary is still running their sale

IMG_0375.jpeg

Damn if I wouldn't go back to the Black/charcoal seats, they add a lot of class to that interior!

My two cents :
My '71 Demon, not 340 but slant-six, has also the M6X9 code on the fender tag. Followed by the black color TX9 code.
Fender tag (2).jpg
My seats are original and black.
004.jpg
But...
On my broadcast sheet, M6X9 is the trim code. I think it's the code for the painted upper door frame
TX9 for black
5X8 for charcoal (340 only)
Your fender tag has the 5X8 code, so I suppose your original seats were black/charcoal to match the charcoal upper door frames.
But it's only a supposition... :)

upper door frame colors.jpg

Last edited:
My 71 with late 71 build date seem black but you can tell it s charcoal but don t seem as lite as cover I ve seen, so don’t know if they get darker with age

Uh oh. Someone mentioned Legendary….. how long until someone mentions something about delivery times……

Regarding legendary ordered April spring CARISLE told me then would not see them before end of december

My understanding is the Demon 340 should have black/charcoal. My 71 Demon 340 has 1 of each front seats and the black/charcoal rear seat. It was a misbuild as originally built. I've had the car since 84 and got it from the original owner who had never changed seat covers. The 3rd original broadcast sheet was even still intact (rough shape) under the incorrect black/black front seat!
Interesting... If I was going to guess I'd say my bucket seats were recovered at some point since they are in way too good of shape but I guess I might never know for certain. I'll get in contact with the guy I bought it from and see if he can give me some more info about the interior If he knows anything, he wasn't the one who restored the car.

My two cents :
My '71 Demon, not 340 but slant-six, has also the M6X9 code on the fender tag. Followed by the black color TX9 code.
View attachment 1716184978
My seats are original and black.
View attachment 1716184986
But...
On my broadcast sheet, M6X9 is the trim code. I think it's the code for the painted upper door frame
TX9 for black
5X8 for charcoal (340 only)
Your fender tag has the 5X8 code, so I suppose your original seats were black/charcoal to match the charcoal upper door frames.
But it's only a supposition... :)

View attachment 1716184979
Well my upper door panels are painted gloss black (as well as the dash) which I guess is what they decided to do when they restored it. This is "the" car I've always wanted so some day I will gut the entire interior and repaint it.

If it were me, I’d order the custom all black rear seat to save a bit a money but I do understand wanting to keep it as original as possible too.

If you do order all the covers in black/charcoal, Legendary is still running their sale

View attachment 1716184960
I think that is what I'm going to end up doing this week. I'd love to have the charcoal black but $ is always a factor plus the bucket seats are really nice and it seems like a bit a shame to recover them.

Thank you all for your feedback! Does anyone have any opinion or experience with seat covers from PG Classics? They have the black rear seat covers (not black/charcoal)

The issue is quality and Legendary definitely has the edge, and will stand behind their work if something fails down the road. On the other hand if you are buying just the rear seat cover, and the back seat will be rarely used, if at all, then PGC might be a viable fix.

Well I ended up changing my mind again and ordering the blk/charcoal for front and back. Thanks everyone!

-
Back