Do i have the right clutch fan

-

duster510

Reaction score
i jus dropped a small block into a org 6 cyl 1970 duster.... i used all original V8 k-member and so forth.... i am running a new 26 inch 3 row radiator from a 1 ton truck (overkill) with shroud, 160 mr. gasket thermostat, 8 blade water pump, and a 5 blade clutch fan... now i found this lo-pro fan part number on here and i got it....the clutch is for a 90 XJ7 Jag.....

The car likes to run around 180-200 in the heat and hills....and right about 160-165 on faltland cold nites:thebirdm:....do i need a diffrent clutch for that 160 thermostat id like to run??

i think i have 3-3.5 inches from face of water pump pully to face of radiator...

any help would help....thanx!!

Does car overheat (puke out coolant)? What temp gauge are you using? When you say "hills and heat", what's the outside temp and how big are the "hills"? Sounds like your 160 thermostate is the problem, I run a 180 in my 408 with a very similar cooling set up to yours and it runs right at 180, even in 105 degree humid summer heat.

I would run the Mopar Performance fan clutch and be done with it. Jag parts on a Mopar? Really?

The Mopar Performance fan clutch is great. The Jag part (Hayden?) has a short shaft and has been used on big block cars where fan clutch/radiator clearance is an issue. The Mopar piece has a longer shaft on it and would be more appropriate for application on a small block.

Jag parts on a Mopar? Really?

I run the same fan for clearence reasons ( 3 core triple pass U.S Radiator) still had to mill 0.25 off the heat sinks of the fan clutch as well as 0.18 off the aluminum pully face to gain 0.50 clearence, ford rotors and calipers on the Alter-K, Chevy adjustable rockers & Milled down long stem Chevy valves..........I believe its referred to as Hot Rodding :toothy10:

If memory serves me correctly that Hayden fan/clutch is 3.5"

the mopar clutch is too long, thats why i went with the hayden/jag clutch......and the heat and hills.....heat is around 80-90s cali summer days and the hills are maybe 6%-9% grade from 2-10 miles long....i will try and watch the temp gauge and shut it down if she gets hotter than 220-225...if i coast down hills she chills rite down within 5 miles...

Im ready to rip out the pice of crap 318 and go 360 or a 408!!

the mopar clutch is too long, thats why i went with the hayden/jag clutch......and the heat and hills.....heat is around 80-90s cali summer days and the hills are maybe 6%-9% grade from 2-10 miles long....i will try and watch the temp gauge and shut it down if she gets hotter than 220-225...if i coast down hills she chills rite down within 5 miles...

Im ready to rip out the pice of crap 318 and go 360 or a 408!!

I run the same fan clutch, it's a good piece. Here's the theory with the higher temp thermostate (180 versus 160) I recommended in my first reply. The 180 holds the coolant in the radiator longer, so it can cool the water before it enters back into the engine. With the 8 blade water pump and the 160 thermostate your moving the water through the radiator to fast. I had this very same issue in a 340 Dart I built. Changing thermostate is cheap and easy item to try as a fix. You may also need to go to a six blade pump, but I would try the thermostate first.

-
Back