Do I have to notch OEM valve covers to use them w/ Edelbrock performer 318/360

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
I've heard of people needing to clearance valve covers so they will fit with an aftermarket intake. Do I need to enlarge the notches in OEM stamped steel valve covers so that they will fit with an Edelbrock Performer 318/360 intake manifold?

probably. I would test fit them with the gaskets in place first

Why not remove the extra material from the intake provided it's not on the sealing surface?

Are you asking about the stamped steel valve covers? If so, you shouldn't need to notch them as they already have relief built into them. If they do hit, I would remove the material from the intake if it is not bolted on yet.

The stock steel valve covers shouldn't need any modification. The ones that usually have to be cut are the Cal Custom or Mopar performance cast aluminum valve covers. The cast aluminum covers are thicker in places that interfere with the aftermarket intake manifolds. I have an edelbrock manifold on my challenger with stock valve covers and had no issues at all. The Cal customs on my Duster on the other hand had to be modified slightly to clear the air-gap manifold on that one.

Last edited:
Same here, my 69 Dart has a LD-340 intake and the stock valve covers work good. But on my 68 Barracuda 416, I have a Edelbrock Air gap intake and I had to notch my M/T valve covers to clear the intake.

-
Back