do i have to remove the windshield on my 71 to get the dash off?

-
James, Can you post your method of removal and installation? I know you have been insulted and it was not even called for. I posted here too so maybe I'm A clown also. There are alot of folks here that are open to new and different ideas. At least PM me with it since I may be doing the same shortly. Thanks!

Could it involve a spot weld cutter and pop rivets and excuse me for being old and set in my ways.

What I would do is back of the bolts, cut the heads off and remove the dash.
Cut the dash holes into slots by trimming the front material away, install replacement short bolts by a few threads.
Hang the dash on the side bolts and rotate it onto the front bolts and tighten, remember the dash is now slotted.
When I did mine recently my windshield was out so didn't go this route but definitely considered the slot idea to ease future removals, didn't go that way as mine is now restored and I don't envision ever having to remove it again........................famous last words.
Am I close James???

James, Can you post your method of removal and installation? I know you have been insulted and it was not even called for. I posted here too so maybe I'm A clown also. There are alot of folks here that are open to new and different ideas. At least PM me with it since I may be doing the same shortly. Thanks!

If he was truly interested in helping anyone or enlightening us, there wouldn't be two posts offering NO INFORMATION and then a third implying that the rest of us are unable to think outside of the box. Hence the "clown" comment...not for improvising a new or different method of attacking this problem but for the obviously intentional aloofness & condescending attitude when he had already been asked for the "how-to" info...

Ray

okay guys come on now lets not get this thread turned into something it doesnt need to be...things didnt have to be said the way they did and more help could have been offerred, but lets clear the air and start fresh...anyone with ideas on this or answers post away....were all here to help eachother anyways rite? lets hear what you guys think

i dunno, there seem to be a bunch of pros here, 3 cars... 5 cars... right way... wrong way... im just glad it didnt take me that many cars to find simpler forms of accomplishment. :bootysha:

Seems kind of childish to say you have a trick that can save people time and money but not share it because some may not believe its possible.

James, That's not what FABO is about. We are supposed to be a community that shares info and learns from our experiences. Possibly they have done it the same way because they were installing new seals. I don't know for sure. Why would you post a procedure and not tell anyone? I just don't get it.

Yep, that is exactly how a child would act...which is what I think we are dealing with here. Don't pay him any more attention, that's what he's after.

So lets all get back on subject now.

I have only removed them with the windshield out, Never actually tried with it in . Seems it would be a real PIA but then again so is reinstalling the glass.

glass aint so bad with a new seal and a good nylon rope Adam. they look better with a new unpuckered seal anyway

ok guys put the violins down. grab some tissues. i wanted to take my dash out for paint and thought for a minute that chrysler couldnt have done something so stupid. then again they locked the headliner in with the glass too. i figured there had to be a better way. stuck my head up under the dash took all of about 5 seconds to come up with a plan. reach up there with a cut off tool, even a dremel, cut the blind nuts off low enough that the bolts are no longer grabbing any threads cut the side of the blind nut off where it bends around from the top to the bottom so it doesnt hang up, and simply pull the dash out. if you are worried about damaging your 40 year old original to the car bolts and blind nuts, this route might not be for you. i left the vice grips and right angled screw drivers in the tool box along with any tools required to remove the glass.

Come to think of it, that 1970 Big-Block Dart R/T up in Montana that everyone was buzzing about a few weeks ago still had the windshield in it with the dash missing... LOL

What a clown!

Ray

Please - let it die.

to re instal the dash you just reverse the hardware new blind nuts upside down, on the dash frame instead of the mounting flanges, inserting the shortest possible bolts from underneath, there is room under the gasket for the blind nuts and some thread to stick out, but if the bolts are too long they will lift the gasket off the dash frame.

-
Back