do i have to remove the windshield on my 71 to get the dash off?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Does anybody know if i need to remove the windshield on my 71 scamp to get the dash off? if not, how do i go about doing it?

thanks

Yes , to remove the dash (sheet metal housing) the wildshield will need to come out. Bolts are hidden under the rubber gasket.

nope. you can take it out and re install it without touching the glass.

hey guys i mean the actually metal dash...obviously the dash pad has to come out too, but what i want to know is how to get the actual dash itself out...do i need to remove the glass or do i not? redfish you say no and jamesdart you say yea, so which is it guys? lol

i got mine out and put it back in without removing the windshield.

I`ve heard of one or two people that have managed to get the dash out with the windshield still in using some sort of right angle screwdriver and a lot of cussing. As a rule though the windshield should be out to remove the dash.

no right angle screw driver or cursing here. sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

ok jamesdart fill us in because I have a good windshield in my 67 cuda and hate to try and take it out because of the possibility of being broken

As far as I know...and I have removed 3 dashes in my day...you HAVE to remove the windshield because like stated ^ there, there are numerous bolts under the Windshield Seal that attach the dash to the Firewall/Dash Support.

I guess you could vice grip the bolt threads from the underside if you were crazy and like cramped spaces and scrapped knuckles, and had hours to mess with one little job.

Me, I would rather pull the windshield, and have it put back in than mess with possibly fubarring the threads of the bolts from the underside of the dash.

Maybe you do it from the inside out. It`s got to be a b*tch anyway you try it though.

Just read Prines post.....oh well, linear thinking.

no right angle screw driver or cursing here. sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

Come to think of it, that 1970 Big-Block Dart R/T up in Montana that everyone was buzzing about a few weeks ago still had the windshield in it with the dash missing... LOL

What a clown!

Ray

Well my dad has a 69 dart and he had to take the glass out in order to get his dash out, but i thought maybe it would be a little different on a 71 even though he told me it wouldnt be i thought id still try....it seems like the majority say it has to be out, which is understandable....jamesdart, you say it can be done with the windshield in, so would you mind sharing with all of us your techniques on getting it out?

:clock:

no vice grips involved here, but id much rather ruin about 6 bolts than ruin my windshield. im not a glass guy, that one thing i dont play with.

i thought it had to come out (forgot when i did scraped my other A-bodies a few years back) im gettin ready to scrap another and i dont wanna take the windshield out untill we get it moved along side the garage cuz i gotta leave the steering column in to move it, and dont wanna leave it exposed to the eliments

So, you scrap maybe six or seven screws and don't have to take out the windshield? Sounds like a no brainer to me. I bet it holds just as well screwing in new ones from the bottom too. Good post houdini!! Wait a minute......Are they bolts or screws? How do you get the new ones in if they are bolts?

Clowns united in this thread.
On the assembly line the dash housing is placed on the one bolt behind each kick panel via slotted holes. Then it is rotated upward into place and secured by bolts across the top in holes that aren't slotted.
Sure its just sheetmetal pinched under bolt heads so you might just get Hulked up and rip it out but...are you planning to put it back in and
WTF is gonna hold it in place in event of an accident ?
There are right ways and wrong ways to do everything.

Guess if you snipped em off, or used a grinder under there lol, you could pop out the tops easy enough. But agree it would be tough to secure the dash well enough in case of impact. Rather just take the opportunity to clean/reseal the windshield.

Im thru beating around the bush. This is BS. If there was another way ater 5 cars I would have found it.If a jobs not done right its WRONG.

at a site called ABODIES only, i thought some one here would have figured this out some time in he last 40 years of working on these cars. there are a lot of little tricks to these cars and i thought everyone here would be all over them. my way is not wrong, its just different, no its not the factory specified way to install a dash, but it works every bit as good as there way. you wont get any more busted or cut knuckles doing it my way than you will when you get under ther eto disconect al lthe stuff that you have to, to remove the dash wit hthe glass in or our. you dont cut the dash or its mounting points. when i pulled my dash out it was to paint the interior steel, i changed doors and one was red, one was white inside, so i changed the b5 blue interior to late model chrysler electric blue. i figured this out becasue i wasnt ready to remove my glass yet. if you have to remove it anyway, hey, do it the "right" way, it is definitely easier with the glass out. still my way wont take any longer than half an hour.

Hey guys James informed me of his way and i think he trumped all of you guys out there....i think some people should take back what they say about it being b.s. or plain impossible or being a houdini to do it....he surprised me too, since i didnt think it could be done either, until he told me how he does it and man does he have some creativity....some people mite want to swallow what they have said

-
Back