Do I need a new shifter? look Pic's

-

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
Getting things hooked up and I have a problem!! Bought the shifter on EBAY and the new rod set on ebay. Hooking it up tonight an WHAT.... The hole for the lower shift rod is a smaller size. and That **** is hard ...thought I'd just drill it...No way. So what do I do? Did someone sell me a shifter for something else? Should I just get a different one?
Anyone got one for sale???

shift 001 (Small).jpg

shift 002 (Small).jpg

I THINK that on the bottom rod (reverse) you have to put the end with the adjuster on the lever on the trans instead of on the shifter. Flip the rod end for end. Seems like that's the way it was on mine, but it's apart now.

Ok I switched the rod front to back. That worked. But am I forgetting something. IT WON'T SHIFT .I think it'll go into reverse (which looks to be the middle lever???)but the other levers won't budge.... WHAT am I doing or not doing???

Reverse is the rod hooked up to the long curved lever on the shifter. Disconnect all three rods from the trans. The two upper shift levers on the trans (the two in the trans side cover) have three positions. Check to be sure that they are in their center position. The reverse lever on the trans (the lever lowest & farthest to the rear) should be pointed up (I think yours is upside down) & clicked as far as it will go toward the front of the trans. Mount the shifter to the trans. There is a small hole in the side of the shifter at the bottom of the case (where the levers exit the body of the shifter). Find an allen wrench or drill bit that will fit through the hole. There is a corresponding hole in each of the levers on the shifter. Line all the levers up so that the allen wrench will fit through the hole & hold all of the levers in alignment to keep them from moving. Then move the threaded adjusters on the shift rods so that each is a slip fit into their position between the shifter levers & the levers on the side of the trans. Install the rods & remove the allen wrench & you should be good to go. Hope this makes sense & I didn't confuse you. If you need more help, let us know here & I'm sure you'll hear from somebody.

I have 2 of these that are both in very good shape and I am willing to sell one of them if it will help you out.

The reverse lever on the trans (the lever lowest & farthest to the rear) should be pointed up (I think yours is upside down) & & clicked as far as it will go toward the front of the trans.

If its an OD trans, the reverse lever tab should be pointing down. Non OD, pointing upward.

The 3-4 lever (the one farthest forward on the trans) is supposed to be flipped (pointing down) on an OD trans. On a standard 4 speed all of the levers point up. An OD trans will have a front bearing retainer that is 5 1/8" in diameter. This is the part of the trans that fits into the back of the bellhousing. Even if you have an OD trans everything should shift if it's adjusted correctly. If you put the 3-4 lever on upside down on an OD trans the trans will shift 1-2-4-3, but it will still shift. If the trans wont shift when everything is adjusted properly, you probably have a problem in the transmission. I think you just have an adjustment problem. Keep at it & you should be able to get it to work.

I tried everything... No luck then I hooked up a competition plus shifter (for sale)I have for a chevy and It shifted. But that shifter will not work reverse in my car.I believe The shifter(for sale too) I have Is an A body shifter but and older model.It doesn't pull the levers far enough. So I gota buy one. Anybody have one to sale?

correct me if im worng,,,why would the O.D trans have the reverse lever in the oppsite direction from the non O.D.. makes no sense to me,,the shifter still goes in the same position weather its an O.D. or not,,,

sounds like the shifter you bought is either frozen,,or not adjusted properly,,
disconect all the shifter arms,,mount the shifter on the tranny and see if it moves back and forth,,left to right,, like the shifting pattern H,,, if it moves with out forcing it,,, find a alan wrench that will fit in the hole on the body of the shifter,,on the left side,, this may be a tight fit getting it in and out when mounted in the car due to trans tunnel clearance,, while the wrench is in the shifter body,, attach and adjust all the shifting arms,,to the shifter,,if there is a ton of wiggle in the rod end and shifter you are missing the bushings that go on the rods, pul out the wrench it should work,,

These are two I have 4-sale. They are in very good working condition

IMG_0219.jpg

shifter1.jpg

The picture show that you have the reverse lever pointing down. It should be pointing up and pushed forward to be out of reverse. If it is in reverse it will lock out the other gears.

-
Back