do I need K12900E-4 for 68 904 rebuild?

-

Hersbird

Reaction score
So I was trying to order the parts for my 68 904 rebuild and the Northern Auto kit says I need this other kit (K12900E-4) which as far as I can tell nobody sells
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=9099
Looking at WIT they sell kits for the 68 but then they seem to be short other parts like the steels and just basic frictions. Cope has a kit but it's $175 but at least its Kolene and red eagles.
So where is the best place to order from? I'd get the Northern Kit but then what else am I missing? I think this is why I ordered the $150 kit for the 727 I had because all the separate 904 parts and companies started driving me crazy, not to mention seems to cost much more. Somebody please make me a list of the basics for rebuilding a 68 904 to handle simple street duty behind a simple 360.

That kit number comes up as a subpak which is the gaskets and seals. K12900G looks to be the overhaul kit you need. The paper and rubber kit (which I believe is the gaskets and seals) is K12900G-1.

Maybe they have changed the transtar kits and northern tool is just out of date on their webpage because nowhere else do I see that subkit required. WIT lists the same 12006A kit for 68-71 for less ($80). So that kit, the A12654 sprag for $4.25, the S12912 servo piston for $15.08, and I was thinking the T22165 simple transgo shift kit for $31.37 or is the Superior S22165 shift kit for $36.07 better?
Anything else?

the 12006a is short 3 parts compared to the 12008c, the filter, the kick down flex band and the thrust washer kit. So I added the filter (12010C) and the band (B12022AA) to my above list but the washer kit shows as a 1974 or 78 up (depending on where you look). do I even need the trust washer kit?
My total from WIT is $144.02 which seems pretty good.

actually transmissionpartsusa.com has the same stuff for $125 with free shipping, anybody use them?

I would tear down your transmission before you order your parts.You may need other things that the kit does not have.
Have you tried Transtar?
Whatever it takes(WIT) and Transtar are the two main distributors for transmission parts,i personally use Transtar at work for my rebuilds and if you look at the box so does Northern auto parts.
12006a master overhaul kit with frictions and steels for (60-72)
12010c large dacron filter
12022a front flex band
12030b bushing kit
12200 washer kit
12654 spring and roller kit
t22165 shift correction kit(has new manual valve)

These are part#s out of the Transtar catalog this is where i would start on a STOCK rebuild.The shift correction kit t12165 fixes the drain back problem by installing a new manual valve so it charges the converter in park,the stock valve only charges in gear or neutral.This is the kit for fixing the complants the had when they were new.This should not be confused with the TF1-2 kits your read about here which are for performance and a lot firmer shifts.

Some of the bushings are not big wear items and not are all needed,but is nice to have if you need one.Same goes for the washers.
The parts above will give you a good stock rebuild,but i would still tear yours down before i order any parts

Hope this helps.:D

Perfect bronzebee, that's what I'm looking for although I did order the basics so I can get started including the atsc manual.

Some times all you need are the basics,if it was running and driving.
Don't skimp on the spring and rollers.12654
If there was a lot of metal i would replace the converter.
T22165 is highly recommended for your build

The 904 was running and driving fine. It was leaking bad out the shift seal (or somewhere close) and since it sat for long periods seemed always low on fluid. I didn't know about the converter drainback so that's probably why it seemed to slip when first starting. I have all the paperwork on my car and although it looks like the motor I just put in was the 3rd, I don't see any work ever being done on the transmission. Basically since the 904 is out I figured freshend up for the 360 was a good idea.

-
Back