Do I need this?

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I had a suregrip (clutch type) installed into an extra 741 case with 3:91 gears at the local rear and driveshaft shop. The builder showed me the parts he removed from the open carrier and what was leftover after installing the suregrip. I noticed there was a large steal pin laying on the bench. Is that something I am supposed to have in order to install the axles into the unit? Didn't even occur to me to grab the open carrier and old parts. Also, are my axle bearings a crucial adjustment, or a bolt and go?

Do you have Green bearings or the cone style bearings?
I believe I have the factory originals. Cone style? I know I never installed the green bearings onto the axles. Thanks. As for that big pin, I don't need it?

The pin you are talking about sounds like the thrust buttons.

Does it look like this?

View attachment differential-pinion-thrust-spacer-kit-1.jpg

Can you post a pic.

If what I'm thinking is correct, they may have removed the thrust button, which you will need in order to run the factory tapered bearings. If you are running the green bearings then you don't need it.

Pics of pin would help.

If you are running the tapered roller bearings and the thrust button was removed, you won't be able to adjust axle end play.

My initial thought was the big fat pin that slides in perpendicular thru the open case.....

roger that! Not to mention "a large pin" is subjective as to what is large and what is not....

No, but you will need the thrust pins that I posted above, are those in the suregrip? Look where the axle goes in it should be visible from both points.

Correct

Von Cramp your clutch type carrier takes the small pins Bruce posted. Completely different design than a cone type sure grip or an open differential.

-
Back