Do I need to shorten the steering column

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I wasnt sure if this should go into the exhaust section or here in steering, but I am working on a 66 Dart with manual steering. I installed a set of TTI headers and I am going to be putting the steering column back into place. In trying to line up the coupling it appears that one of the header tubes is touching the column just about the time I go to push the coupling onto the box shaft. It was late last night when I ran into this problem and I was by myself so I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this. I think if I shorten the lower side of the column about 2" the actual center shaft will have enough reach to connect without hitting anything. The bad part is I have to disassemble the column in order to cut the bottom off because I am using a bearing that will require me to roll the bottom open just a bit in order to slide the bearing back into the column. I just painted the column and put it together the other night. Damn, Just another setback!
Rod

I wasnt sure if this should go into the exhaust section or here in steering, but I am working on a 66 Dart with manual steering. I installed a set of TTI headers and I am going to be putting the steering column back into place. In trying to line up the coupling it appears that one of the header tubes is touching the column just about the time I go to push the coupling onto the box shaft. It was late last night when I ran into this problem and I was by myself so I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this. I think if I shorten the lower side of the column about 2" the actual center shaft will have enough reach to connect without hitting anything. The bad part is I have to disassemble the column in order to cut the bottom off because I am using a bearing that will require me to roll the bottom open just a bit in order to slide the bearing back into the column. I just painted the column and put it together the other night. Damn, Just another setback!
Rod
know what you mean. I think I`m going to have to take the door panels off and replace my 48 yr old door handles, they look like crap now that the body is painted.
course that`s not all that big a deal, just sucks doing something over !

Bob, thats where the toughest decisions are made and the cost of refurbishing our cars go out of control. Its hard to decide where to stop when trying to make them nice. Yes, redoing these things are a pain but the costs associated with making everything shiney creeps up faster then one thinks. Im fighting the same thing on a peice of trim just below the passenger window and will probably have to rechrome both of them now to have them match. Doesnt make the car run better but we want them nice and nothing is cheap!!
Rod

Check the location of the engine. The headers come with instructions telling you to check the motor mounts, etc. TTI makes great stuff, and if installed per their instructions you should not have (major) problems such as this.

-
Back