do i need to take car to bare metal

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
just wondering if I should continue with the time comsuming process
kinda fill as if I'm going over board

I'd say it depends on how much time you have on your hands, the condition of the car, how many re-paints it's already had, and how nice you want it to be when done. - If you're switching color might be a factor too.

If it's going to be a (non-show car) daily driver and the existing paint isn't peeling or badly chalked you could get by but if you've got lots of chips or repair work to do then you might as well strip it.

The premium stripper from Lowe's works good. About $30. You'll save that much in sandpaper and time.

I have asked same question of good bodymen. some will say always take to bare metal and go from there, others have said, ( and I have found this to work for me), IF what is already on there, and there is NO rust under it and it will not come off ever, what is already there can work as a base. .
I have had some cars with OEM paint that I could DA off the paint (topcoat), with 80 grit, BUT wow that primer was one there SO good and NO rust under it at all. I think in that case it can work.
BUT if there is ANy sort of rust under the old primer, it needs to come off and have clean metal.
like said, it can depend on what you want. and what you will spend on materials.
like said, air craft stripper can really get rid of paint, but if you have more layers than OEM, it can take a lot and it can take a lot of paper and air and time to da IT ALL OFF. any paper coarser than 80 grit will leave a problem with scratches.
as you have heard, your finish will be no better than your prep. sad but true!

Compatibility of materials is a big concern. If you know what you are dealing with and don't have layers of old paint, bondo, fiberglass etc... You can use some of the existing finish as a base coat / filler.
I burned up one compressor motor just doing it this way. You need to be conscious of the way primer colors effects the top coat and so on. Maybe experiment on small areas first or you will go through a lot more paint than you want to.
dscn3846-jpg.1714951116

dscn3851-jpg.1714951119

img_1052-jpg.1714951127

like mguner just said, old filler should be ground out, and redone. I like to use epoxy DTM primer, before filler , not filler on bare metal, although I know some good body men that still do it that old way. also the epoxy primer reduced to use as sealer, will give you a sealed old finish, and a consistant color over all. a gal is a good investment and not that expensive. second line epoxy has served me well.
I rather have a driver that looks good enough, that a car so perfect and so many $$ in the paint I never drive it! been there, done it. just me....

-
Back