do-it your self bed liner

-
Done a couple.Dirty work,but effective. The best two I've seen: Herculiner,and the newer Kevlar based,Dupli -Color Armor brand. It works,won't last as long as electrostatic applications . Figure 100-150 for the self applied kits,300 on up,for electrostatic application (the latter,usually lasts longer). Hopefully, others ,will offer some sage advice.

I've used herculiner when I built my Jeep Wrangler. You have to make sure you prep good (scotch brite, steel wool, degreaser) other wise it will peel off in time. Only thing I did not like about it is if its in the sun it will fade. They may have changed the formula since I've done it (5-7 years ago) but I doubt it. One other thing, wear rubber gloves and long sleeves, unless you want to wear it until it comes off.

Helped a friend do a truck with Durabak roll-on several years ago, turned out OK. Helped same friend do his next truck with Upol Raptor spray on. Better in every way!

If you do it where you care about the floor, put cardboard under the bed drains.

My brother did his and it's holding up well, but he didn't buy enough and thinned it out, and you can see bed color where he did that. It still sticks just fine, though!

Ive always wondered about bedliners. Can yall share the differences between better and ok?

I have tried a few, and out of the ones I've tried u-pol Raptor, 3m makes a kit and both are a 2 part catalyzed, and reasonably durable, the roll-on or rattle can is very light duty, but none (that I know) of the do-it-yourself kits are as durable as true Rhino or line-x. My every day work pick-up has a Rhino spray in bed liner and sees extreme hard use and after 10 years has held up great! 10 years ago it cost 600 but is unbelievable tough stuff.

On one of my rucks, it came with the Rhino liner in the truck bed. It was ok for protecting against scratches/abrasions, but would still dent when putting heavy blocks, axles, etc in.

I found that the plastic liners protect better against dents in the sheet metal of the box, but they "creep" and rub on the paint underneath it which will eventually start to rust. I had a plastic liner put in over the Rhino liner so now it won't dent the bed when I throw heavy parts in it and the Rhino liner protects the paint from rubbing off past the primer. It seems reduntant, but I like it better with both.

Last summer I did the bed with Dupli-color Kevlar roll on.
It looks ok.
To be honest it is not that durable.
A gallon only goes so far and the coverage is not that thick, and I have a 6.5' box.
It can scratch if you throw stuff in the bed.
If you want it to last I would get the professionally sprayed on stuff.
It is much thicker, maybe a 1/16" thick. But kind of pricey.

Onig

-
Back