Do we have any coal miners on the forum?

-

RussellSullivan

Reaction score
I'm trying to find some coal miners to speak to, either active or retired. I'm looking to gain some insight as to what it's like to work underground. This is just one of two different opportunities I have available at the moment. Presently, I work on a sand and gravel producing dredge on the Ohio River. As such, I'm familiar with some of the same equipment that may be found in a coal mine.

I'm trying to weigh my options between a career change, or a promotion at my current job. The goal is to cut down on hours spent away from home and family, but I'm not sure if that's worth going underground. I'd like to thank anyone in advance for any advice they can offer.

Are you implying you want to be a coal miner???
There is no were near enough work for miners now let alone in the future
I worked in coal handling in the early seventies
My foreman was a miner, it’s not a nice job
We ran all the coal handling equipment and it was filthy beyond belief
I’d be covered in coal dust
My clothes were full of it
In the warmer months when I didn’t wear long underwear my ***** and testicles were black from coal dust
In the only two years I worked in the yard I sucked in a lot of coal dust
We fixed broken conveyor belts fifty feet up in ten degree weather
Hoppers would get plugged and I personal dug out several guys who got buried over their heads when the stuck coal caved in
I myself was buried up to my chin once
That’s my limited experience with coal
God bless those miners

This may very well be the only reply I needed. Yes, the job would be maintaining the equipment
I give you all the credit in the world because I have a idea of the environment you work in and the one your asking about. Its not for the weak of mind and body, long hours, all kinds of weather. I know because I did similar in power gen and ship repair.
The thing is and I have no real idea of what is currently going on but is there a future in the coal industry.
Good luck

Thanks for your time and advice, Steve. I'm being offered a salary position as captain, but I'm not sure I want to take on the hours. Add to that the fact that our dredge is barely operational, it feels like adopting a crack baby. I'd hate to dedicate myself to a poor performing vessel, but I'd also hate to start over at a different place.

My friend Rocky is from WV, and his Dad was a Coal Miner. Rocky was the oldest child with 2 brothers and a sister. He said he remembers his Mom always waiting and watching for his Dad to come home every day, because she feared one day he might not. He says he will never forget his 18th birthday party because of his parents, especially his Dad. His Mom fixed his favorite meal and baked him a nice cake, and it just a great family get together. When he had finished his meal and piece of birthday cake, his Dad asked him if he enjoyed his meal and birthday cake? He told him yes, very much. He said his Dad then reached over and picked up Rocky's plate, walked to the trash can and broke the plate with a big spoon and threw it away. He then asked Rocky to promise him he would never step foot into a coal mine and to find other work even if he had to move away to do it. He said at first, he wondered what he did that made his Dad break the plate? Then, when he saw the tear welling up in his Dad's eye when he asked him to promise to never be a miner, he understood that the point of him breaking the plate was to urge him to get out on his own, away from where they lived where the only jobs were in a mine. His Dad did the same thing with his 2 brothers, and asked his sister if she wanted to worry over a husband working in a mine like their Mom had. When the last one moved out, he had enough time in to retire from the mine. He then did odd jobs and handyman work, and his parents did just fine. Long story if you made it this far, but along with what Steve told you, I hope it helps.

Think long and hard about accepting a salary job doing much of the same job as you have. If you get paid overtime now when the equipment breaks down and causes you to have to work over....you'll get zilch with the salary job. You will also have to do all of the administrative work that goes along with being Captain on your own time. If the salaried position isn't at least 3 times the pay, I don't see how it could be worth it.

I've worked underground coal, gypsum, copper, zinc and marble. Coal can be the most dangerous if your dealing with methane and coal dust and if so it only takes one on the crew to screw up and ruin everyone's day. Liking any underground work depends on the individual. I for one enjoyed working underground as you see your accomplishments every day. You are somewhat in control of your working environment. You don't have to worry about the weather. Your shift seems to go by quickly as you have few if any outside influences. These are just some of the positives. I'm sure others can come up with more negatives.

I was a rock and sand surface miner. Numerous river bed pits and one granite pit. 39 yrs of big iron takes it's toll on you, but you never have to back up to get your paycheck, you always know you're doing something constructive.

I worked 22 years for Joy Mining Machinery. Warrendale,PA Assembly /Repair shop. We built and repaired long wall equipment. 90% was in the shop. 10% we had to go underground mostly for warranty work. Usually welding but sometimes changing hydraulic parts. Usually Southwest PA, West Virginia or Ohio.
Google Longwall mining… you’ll be amazed how high tech and productive it is.

I appreciate all the stories, you guys. I was hesitant to even apply for the coal mine, but the dollar sign/hour was good, and the advertised hours were what I was looking for. I'm not too worried about the administrative side of the Captain position. That's probably what I'll do. I don't want to put my family in that position of worry just for some extra bread.

I was just talking about this. My first time underground we had to put precut rubber pieces on the back shields of the roof supports to keep debris out. So here we are welding on the ”gob” side of the longwall. The roof is not bolted or supported. The roof in fact is designed to collapse as the longwall advances.
This was Powhatan Point, Ohio. Other times it was laying in mud welding lugs on the chain conveyor. The one thing I won’t forget is after working a long shift everyone piled on a mine transport that MSHA says is safe for 4 miners. So here we are, 19 guys hauling *** heading out. Someone yells, CHICKEN, everyone shuts their headlamp off and the transports headlights. Total darkness, balls to the wall, better than any amusement park.

Think long and hard about accepting a salary job doing much of the same job as you have. If you get paid overtime now when the equipment breaks down and causes you to have to work over....you'll get zilch with the salary job. You will also have to do all of the administrative work that goes along with being Captain on your own time. If the salaried position isn't at least 3 times the pay, I don't see how it could be worth it.
Yeah but you get all the responsibility.. AND YOU'RE the first one the axe-slingers come for when **** goes wrong...

Coal is not going anywhere for awhile.

Well now, have you asked the Scumbag NWO USA killing rodents who are attending to the ending of America's energy industry, while attending to the needs of this country's many enemies?
I will ask them when their house is cold and their meat is rotting.

-
Back