Do You Carry Spare Gasoline in the Trunk?

-
There are explosion-proof cans available. Not sure if these would be safer to carry in the trunk or not. The metal is at least 2X as thick as the typical tin cans everyone has.
4c51d9ca1826aac5f82e676b2f5ce6ed.jpeg

Here's one for carrying fuel and the possible hazards.
My Dad and I were taking gas to my Mom who had run out of gas out in the middle of nowhere, and we were on motorcycles.
The only can we had was one of those round 5 gallon metal ones, so I filled it up and strapped it down on my luggage rack.
My Dads bike had a trunk so we couldn't put it on his bike.

On our way out this winding road to where the gas needed to go I was rounding a corner and had my rear tire suddenly blow on the bike.
Not a whoosh of air type flat, but a boom type.:D
I was able to keep the bike upright and on the road, but it was a battle and all I could think about was that metal can sliding down the road and all the sparks it would make.
The next thought was how I was going to get away from it if it did go down on the road.

Had a picture like this in my mind the entire time I was managing the bike with a metal 5 gallon can on the back with a flat tire that was loose on the rim and skating around on me.:D

View attachment 1715273532

all of which could have been avoided if only mom had been carrying...spare gas

Why not just get a 200 gallon fuel buffalo to tow behind, then you can make it cross country. lol
I forgot to mention , gallon milk jugs work in a crunch.

When i worked in a chevron station in the'70's we gave the CHP gasoline for stranded motorists in empty prestone jugs.

-
Back