Do you get nervous?

-
In the 13 years or so I've had my Duster I've swapped the engine twice and there were usually a couple years in between taking out the old and putting in the new (original 318 got too worn and I didn't stock up on parts before tearing it apart, next engine blew up from pinging too much). Going on that first drive is always a bit nerve-wracking but after working on every part of this car and having almost no breakdowns ever I don't worry about it much. Although I do watch traffic around me like a HAWK when driving that car, even though I have great coverage with Hagerty that car is irreplaceable to me.

Ok so once I got a flat tire on the freeway, had my mini hydraulic jack in the trunk and a decent spare, no problem. Also the valve body in my 904 cracked at one point and the trans started slipping and shifting wrong but I was able to drive it home extremely carefully. Aside from those 2 cases, and my previous 360 blowing up on the freeway, my Duster has never left me stranded. These cars are so simple and so over-built compared to modern cars I don't even worry about breaking down because as long as I have my hand tools I'm confident I can fix whatever it may be.

-
Back