Do you live in a depressed county (unemployment, poverty, etc.?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
According to MSN money page, the 25 Worst Counties to live in by state:

West Virginia (1)
Louisiana (2)
Mississippi (7)
Kentucky (8)
Georgia (3)
Arkansas (1)
South Dakota (1)
Alabama (2)

Ten Worst Counties list:

1. McDowell County, West Virginia
2. East Carroll Parish, Louisiana
3. Issaquena County, Mississippi
4. McCreary County, Kentucky
5. Clay County, Kentucky
6. Holmes County, Mississippi
7. Quitman County, Mississippi
8. Jefferson County, Mississippi
9. Calhoun County, Georgia
10. Stewart County, Georgia

Runner-ups:

11. Wolfe County, Kentucky
12. Martin County, Kentucky
13. Humphreys County, Mississippi
14. Bell County, Kentucky
15. Phillips County, Arkansas
16. Madison Parish, Louisiana
17. Leflore County, Mississippi
18. Owsley County, Kentucky
19. Oglala Lakota County, South Dakota
20. Clay County, Georgia
21. Sunflower County, Mississippi
22. Harlan County, Kentucky
23. Breathitt County, Kentucky
24. Wilcox County, Alabama
25. Greene County, Alabama

The Worst Counties to Live In

Anyone living there have a comment?

I live in Jones County, Georgia and I must admit, it's movin along purdy danged good.

I have lived in rural counties all my life. generally out a ways... retire mostly "poor". this I have noticed over life. the more we make the more we want and spend. life and happiness is not measured by $$$ and property.

poor counties? yes higher unemployment and wages. cost of property? way lower. cost of living, generally way lower. opportunities? there if you look. a good job to walk into? maybe not. good honest people, many. like everywhere, NOT all of em.

That list has nothing from Michigan or Illinois..... something wrong.
And Oglala county S.D. host the poorest, most in poverty city and people in the USA. That would be Pine Ridge. I've been to the rez there.
Oh, MSN, that's what's wrong :D

I live in Mississippi and all the counties listed there are farming counties mostly in the Mississippi delta. Now you see where the blues come from.

Surprised Stevens County Washington isn't on that list. Talked with one (of the two) building inspectors a while back....he called the county "and unincorporated third world county"...

I grew up in Jefferson county NY, and now live in Monroe county PA. It's amazing how modern liberalism can destroy an area. What was once an incredibly wealthy area is now a white trash **** hole. Let's push raw material extraction and manufacturing overseas where there is zero regulation. Makes perfect sense. Rivers running orange and red dumping into the Pacific, but the Starbucks drinkers here feel good. I guess if it makes more people dependant on the government they're happy.

All agriculture here, some manufacturing, lots of food processing plants. We count on exports and between the dock strike and the strong dollar things are a bit slow but always full of potential.

I live in Mississippi and all the counties listed there are farming counties mostly in the Mississippi delta. Now you see where the blues come from.

Oh man, I drove hwy 61 many times through the Delta. Blues for sure!! I can still see in my mind this one gas station with a old Coke machine and an old sofa out front and guys hanging out. Good ole Americana!!

YEP broke *** West Virginian here, always drove 1.5 hrs.+ one way to make a buck.
Been out of work over a year now, discriminated against, kicked of the job, smoking, on a construction site for Christ sakes! I can fill a room up with welding smoke where you can`t see but God forbid you fire up a smoke in a wide open high rise! commie MD+VA, pitifull:soapbox:

I live in Chester County Pa. said to be one of the richest county's in the USA, except where I live in Chester County. Mark

My ex-father in law was from Harlan Co. KY. Went down there a couple times over the years. Indoor plumbing is still a luxury in a lot of places there. A lot of folks known as "Melungeon's" down in that area and they're interesting to say the least.

B.O.was from Illinois. I'd like to vote most of Chicago and a bunch of cities out of Illinois. But since I am about half moved out of there, I really don't care anymore.

-
Back