Dodge dakota infinity replacment speakers?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Well it is a Mopar. I never was too great with factory equipment stereos. I get by.

01 4x4 dak. I have a factory tape deck Amfm infinity deal.
I somehow blew a couple of those factory speakers up. The paper rattles and is cracking.

Anyone know a good replacement / upgrade that will match the ohms and watts? I would probably replace all 4 main speakers. The tweeters still seem to tweet but I may replace those too.

Thanks

If you want stock ones, Ebay has replacements. If you want aftermarket, look at Crutchfield.com they show you everything that will work in your car.

I guess you can start by taking the old speaker out and looking on the back and hopefully you will see the correct ohms written on the back. You can use a digital multimeter if its not written on the back of the speaker. With head unit on and volume turned up atleast half way you can first measure the volts and write that down. Then set the meter to measure amps and write that down. Divide volts by amps and that will give you correct ohms. Another thing you will need to know is which is positive and negative of each wire going to the speaker. You use your digital (it has to be digital) multimeter and touch the wires. If you get a negative sign shown beside the volts then the leads are reversed. No negative (-) sign then you have the leads correct. I would definetly take the door panel off and the rear panel off to find out what size speakers will fit. My Dodge Ram has 6x9 speakers in the doors. I thought they was 6" speakers when I bought the truck. If you buy a 50-90 watt RMS speaker you should be fine. I doubt seioulsy that the head unit is sending more that 90 watts to each speaker.

Oh great! Crutchfield has factory replacements that operate on the ohm and watts my factory infiniturd outputs :)

Time to blast some bronx

Thanks Fst73!

Mission fricklin accomplished.

That's strange. I looked up my 03 Dodge ram 1500 on Cructchfield and it's not showing 6x9 for the front doors. I must not be doing something right.

Thank you mullinax. I am to drunk and the music is too loud to figure this high quality detail, so I will print it and review.

Well, one question. Arent the pulses from the stereo cycling similar to 110 ac where one lead runs from like +3 to -3 and the other is the reference line?
Or is it simply one is ground, the other ranges from +3 to zero?
I guess it is the latter?

Secondly uhh, in getting the amps using a standard meter, I must be putting the meter inline on the positive side and setting it to hold the reading at peak reading?

Cool thank you.

Thank you mullinax. I am to drunk and the music is too loud to figure this high quality detail, so I will print it and review.

Well, one question. Arent the pulses from the stereo cycling similar to 110 ac where one lead runs from like +3 to -3 and the other is the reference line?
Or is it simply one is ground, the other ranges from +3 to zero?
I guess it is the latter?

Secondly uhh, in getting the amps using a standard meter, I must be putting the meter inline on the positive side and setting it to hold the reading at peak reading?

Cool thank you.

Nuke I don't understand your questions and I have not drank a drop lol!

I would assume it would not be cycling since its direct current so yes simply one ground. I usually just start from scratch when I do car audio. New head unit, speakers, amp, etc... so I know what watts, ohms, etc.. to use. Another words I installed a entire aftermarket system in truck. lol

Mullinax, well let me re-ask my second question in the form of two questions, as you have answered my first, thank you.

When measuring amperage going to the speaker (you mention getting the amps) (set my meter to amps) should I run my voltage tester inline on the + wire? That is typically how I get amps. Then observe / note the peak? My meter can capture the peak.

I would assume I would have to have the speaker hooked up since it is needed to draw the amps?

Thank you.

Mullinax, well let me re-ask my second question in the form of two questions, as you have answered my first, thank you.

When measuring amperage going to the speaker (you mention getting the amps) (set my meter to amps) should I run my voltage tester inline on the + wire? That is typically how I get amps. Then observe / note the peak? My meter can capture the peak.

I would assume I would have to have the speaker hooked up since it is needed to draw the amps?

Thank you.

From my understanding you set the multimeter to measure the amperage. Keeping the probes on BOTH the terminals. Thats the way it is stated on the internet that I have read before. YES, Yes with the speaker connected!

Holey crap, they shipped from PA, I am in CA. I reckon I will not be installing them till next weekend. Good website!

Well, I ordered some basic in stock speakers from crutchfield. Specs seemed good. Reviews were pretty good. Only real complaint was they didnt handle bass very well. Well, my factory ones blew out while listening to moderate music, so I cant see how these could possibly be less adequate.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P52/Sound-Ordnance-P-52.html?tp=105#customer-reviews-tab

If these are too anemic, I may go a couple steps up in price for my rear speakers, since they are bigger and may need more bass handling.

do yourself a favor and add some bass blockers their cheap the 5 1/4's bottom our easy when cranked up or add an amp for cleaner power

In my -98 Dakota Extended Cab the speakers are same the size both in the door and the back.
These are the ones I´m going to use. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/12141.html
I´ve read some where on the net that the stock ones are 2 ohm speakers.
I put the meter on + and - on the speaker and it showed 2 ohm. Not sure though if that is the accurate way to meassure the ohm on a speaker.

Thanks!
I will hook them up, if they are problematic due to bass, will get bass blockers. I see they are only like 10 bucks for a pair:) great.

Wow, well, in your link, they appear to have great specifications. Adjustable tweeter power, some sort of variable impedance coil?

Makes me wonder now, I got the 5.25" speakers shown to fit my truck. Some reason they also list 6.5" for my truck. :violent1:.. . Hope they fit..
Reckon I should have taken the 10 minutes to take the door panel off.

In my -98 Dakota Extended Cab the speakers are same the size both in the door and the back.
These are the ones I´m going to use. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/12141.html
I´ve read some where on the net that the stock ones are 2 ohm speakers.
I put the meter on + and - on the speaker and it showed 2 ohm. Not sure though if that is the accurate way to meassure the ohm on a speaker.

do yourself a favor and add some bass blockers their cheap the 5 1/4's bottom our easy when cranked up or add an amp for cleaner power

That's what happened to me. I just wanted to upgrade the speakers and as with everything else I do I went to the extreme. Subwoofers and all... lol

It sounds good.

So, I should have checked rather than relying on crutchfield. The speakers came like 5.25 but the opening is about 6.5. There was a ring that came off the speaker which interfaces with the door. The speakers had a size adapter ring and it was a nice kit.
The install went in clean and sealed properly.

Note 1 as posted above by swedenfish, I should have looked into and purchased 2 ohm speakers! The volume sensitivity is lower resulting in less power output on my 4 ohms units.
Note 2 should have just got the 6.5" diameter units!

It sounds fine but not too rich and lustrous. Clarity is improved until you get near max volume which involves lots of bass, then it is possible to detect a little distortion. They are a little quieter than factory cones.

Well I do like to blast some bronx, chopin or jerry reed at wot so I will be looking for better speakers for the future.

Of course much better than rattling blown speakers though.
Great speakers for the price which was cheap, 40 bucks delivered.

So, I should have checked rather than relying on crutchfield. The speakers came like 5.25 but the opening is about 6.5. There was a ring that came off the speaker which interfaces with the door. The speakers had a size adapter ring and it was a nice kit.
The install went in clean and sealed properly.

Note 1 as posted above by swedenfish, I should have looked into and purchased 2 ohm speakers! The volume sensitivity is lower resulting in less power output on my 4 ohms units.
Note 2 should have just got the 6.5" diameter units!

It sounds fine but not too rich and lustrous. Clarity is improved until you get near max volume which involves lots of bass, then it is possible to detect a little distortion. They are a little quieter than factory cones.

Well I do like to blast some bronx, chopin or jerry reed at wot so I will be looking for better speakers for the future.

Of course much better than rattling blown speakers though.
Great speakers for the price which was cheap, 40 bucks delivered.
Thanks for the update!!

For not much more money I would have upgraded to Alpine speakers from Crutchfield.
I did this in my 03 wrangler, and the differences is night and day.
The Alpines are 10X more crisp and clear than the stockers.

Glad you used the website I suggested. I blew my front two out also, but I think if I dont upgrade, I will just get stock replacements as my car came stock with infinity speakers also. The problem I have though is that the stock 5 disc changer is broken, IDK how to take it out.

Yes, I have been looking at the alpines. Moving forward I would like to get single speaker rather than 2 way speakers. The factory infinity tweeters in the upper door are plenty of treble in my opinion.

Little tricky finding 2 ohm speakers. Also tricky finding non 2 way speakers or speakers that are packaged with a crossover and tweeter kit. All I need is a good dang single speaker (pair)..

Good looking car Fst73!

So you are saying the crutchfield site does not only list the 2 ohm speakers for the dakota?

I have a 2001 & the speakers are toast, (infinity system) not sure what to use-- I just want simple replacements-- no plans for adding any amps later.

i will need 4 as they all crackle , Lawrence

-
Back