Dodge Demon tailpanel advice...

-

craigibc

wishin' my Demon was done
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on a demon tail panel. This car was obviously hit in back left in a car accident. I am looking for advice from someone that might have experience with some bodywork.

I was happily moving along on my restoration and went to the fall fling on Saturday and picked up a new set of taillights for the demon. When I tried to put them on the car the left taillight does not sit correctly in the opening. Not only is it not aligned correctly it is off from left to right. I measured the height on the top and also on the bottom. The bottom is the same on both the left and right side of the car. The top come up off about 3/8" from the left side to the right.

I have to find a way to get the taillight to fit correctly in the opening. I have spent the better part of two days trying to figure out the problem. The demon tail lights have pins to have them seat correctly and I modified the holes to see if I could get it to sit correctly. This did not work... took a bunch of photos and I have come down to this fact...

I need to move the tailpanel down about 3/8" on the left side of the tail light and 3/16" on the right to square it up.

The million dollar question is how to I do that? A large sledge hammer and a 2x4?

Any insight would be great!

Craig

Looks like the point of the sheetmetal might be pushed in? Could you check that compared to the other side. Maybe that is where you need to apply pressure to push the point back out where it belongs...

I would also look for damage beyond there, may be an underlying problem. I would also consider locating another tail panel, the left side of that one looks like it has just about had it.

go to your local auto body supply tell them you need a body hammer with a wedge not a pic. and a small steel forming block. that panel is a easy fix. looks like you need to weld some small spots.
its a lot cheaper and easier than removing an original part.
at least $500.00 for that panel when you find one.

How's the decklid close???? frame rails level??? I would find a replacement tail panel....been there done that

-
Back