Dodge Eco diesel opinions

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
im thinking about buying a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab Limited pickup for my daughter with the Eco Diesel V6 and was wondering if anyone here owned one and what your opinion of them is. I've had the chance to drive one and they are pretty torquey little motors but I would love to hear the opinion of someone with some seat time.

im thinking about buying a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab Limited pickup for my daughter with the Eco Diesel V6 and was wondering if anyone here owned one and what your opinion of them is. I've had the chance to drive one and they are pretty torquey little motors but I would love to hear the opinion of someone with some seat time.
don`t have one, or ever driven one. I bought some metal panel from a guy that had one, he loved it. he said he had just got 31 something coming back from texas. (PS, I thot they were 3 cyl. !)

son in law has one that bought last summer. he likes it but... it developed an antifreeze leak... it took them 3-4 trips to their dealership shop and weeks to figure out it was the water pump! before that they claimed it leaked at the thermostat housing!? ha
I like my old 12 valve Cummins..in a real t ruck

I have 2 Cummins trucks, 2 Dakotas and a 1992 -1 ton 4x4. This truck is for my Daughter who currently drives a 2012 Challenger R/T. She needs a 4x4 and I would like it to be one that gets decent mileage and is decked out as nice as her Challenger.

I've owned a lot of diesels, but I'm done with them now. They used to last forever, get great mileage, and were simple. Now gas engines will out live a diesel. They are running such crazy boost and fuel pressure they don't go 500k anymore. Most diesels were getting better mileage before all the emissions crap, and you're not fixing anything yourself anymore. The only way I can see a diesel making sense anymore is if you're towing daily and you're gonna dump the truck before the warranty runs out.

I test drove one for a weekend,a 4x4 and It did ride great and had plenty of power. But in the end I couldn't justify selling my 07 2500 4x4 Quad cab 5.9 CTD just to buy this one. I now have 247K on it and still like it.

have a friend that has had one for about a year and he really likes it. He was always a Ford man until this one. I have a 2014 2wd quad cab with hemi and I love it. I have 50,000 on it and it averages 21-22 mpg which I can't believe. With the price of diesel and extra costs to service I would get her a gas burner and she can find gas at every station

I've owned a lot of diesels, but I'm done with them now. They used to last forever, get great mileage, and were simple. Now gas engines will out live a diesel. They are running such crazy boost and fuel pressure they don't go 500k anymore. Most diesels were getting better mileage before all the emissions crap, and you're not fixing anything yourself anymore. The only way I can see a diesel making sense anymore is if you're towing daily and you're gonna dump the truck before the warranty runs out.
The cummins has lost 2x in economy what it gained in power over the last decade!The eco diesel is very good on fuel 1.5 to 2 times better than a hemi (depending on gears and actual use) i work at a dodge dealership and we fix these all the time...Yes you heard that right , they are in the shop a lot , and when they come in they just can t seem to leave , def , particle filters , limp in mode , wont go through forced desoot regeneration , maybe has to do with cold climate (def fluid freezes), as a daily driver , don t know if the fuel economy justifies the extra cost of maintenance required , and that dirty pump nozzle at the station!There is one advantage here in Qc. your tags cost more with bigger engines (300$ for 3.0l and close to 600$ with 5.7L)gets worse with commercial plates...

Yeah, my 6.7 Cummins gets about 5 mpg less than my old 5.9 but they say if you remove all the DPF and put a straight pipe on it you can get back up to around the same mileage. I wonder if anyone makes deletes for the Eco Diesel and if they have similar results. The dealer don't act like he wants to come off the price any so maybe I will just shop around for a gas truck.

My friend has had one for about two years, and he loved it, but they just had to replace the engine under warranty. Can't remember exactly the issue, but something about a gear that was pressed onto a shaft that let go and took out the engine. Apparently a well known problem according to the dealer.

I just called my local Dodge dealer and told him to shop around some gas trucks. My Daughter wouldn't care one way or the other because she's already used to buying gas for the Hemi. Like you guys said, there's a gas station everywhere and diesel is a little harder to find so it might be the best option for her. I don't want her driving anything with lots of maintenance issues, she is self employed and her time is at a premium so she don't need anything that's in and out of the dealer a lot.

I have been driving the Cummins since 1996. Either 4WD LWB 2500or 3500 LWB. In 1996 I got 16 MPG with 160 Horses and auto. My 2012 has 350 HP/Auto and gets 15-16 MPG no trailer. Both got the same with my trailer. I see it as all good. between the Exhaust Brake and Tow/Haul, it is the safest vehicle I have ever towed with, never has one been in the shop for warranty work. And they Don't depreciate like a gas truck. as far as the eco diesel, my son had that engine in the jeep. it ran good, but was high maintenance. Fiat should have gone through with the smaller Cummins Instead of letting it go to Nissan. That was a big mistake. But, Fiat was cheap, as they owned part of that eco engine already.DUMB!

Yes you heard that right , they are in the shop a lot , and when they come in they just can t seem to leave , def , particle filters , limp in mode , wont go through forced desoot regeneration , maybe has to do with cold climate (def fluid freezes), as a daily driver ,
The dealer by me bought a flat trailer and put pallets of cement on it. They use it to force regens and clean the DPF. Rediculous when I see $60k trucks pulling that trailer up the road. Diesel days are numbered, and dipshit spoiled kids rolling coal are gonna make sure it happens sooner than later.

-
Back