Dodge HellCats easy pick for thieves in the know?

-
Remote start subscription for toyotas is correct.

All sorts of corporations are currently trying to figure out how to have a semi-permanent, recurring connection to your wallet.

I understand electricity, water, waste removal...

...and accept internet/phone/TV.

But as for me.....nothing else.
This will be a HUGE incentive for Aftermarket Remote Starters. Most places that install car alarms will also install remote starters.

This is how it's done. Many how to videos on YouTube. For about $600, BA Autosound can theft proof it.

This is how it's done. Many how to videos on YouTube. For about $600, BA Autosound can theft proof it.

In the original post the article mentions that the thieves broke out a car window to get inside the car,,,, the repeater mentioned in the video unlocked the doors.

I've also read (maybe even on FxBO) that they can "just" swap the computer for one that's already programmed with their key/fob.

I've also read (maybe even on FxBO) that they can "just" swap the computer for one that's already programmed with their key/fob.

There’s probably 6 or 8 modules that they would have to swap in an HC to do that, and most (all?) would require taking a bunch of stuff apart to do it.

No idea how many, that’s just a guess, but pretty certain the important ones have the VIN in the module and all of them probably need to be swapped if they don’t match.

I guess maybe someone could program one module with the correct VIN and matching key, but sure seems like it would take significantly more time than what I’ve seen them take.

I’m no expert though so maybe I am wrong.

The video showed it in about 5 minutes.

About year and ahalf ago I read where there was a hack thru the computer bluetooth function. But I’m sure the car would have to be on first.
I hope they would have fixed that security hole by now.
Too many people w too much time.
Criminal minds never sleep.

Too steal the car or swap the module?

It's essentially the same thing.

Once the computer is changed, you start it with your key/fob and drive away.

I believe it was demonstrated on a truck, though.

Any car that has a push button start can easily be stolen, I will NEVER buy a new vehicle. Toiletta just said that all cars sold next year will have a software connection you need to buy at $80/month that will only let you start your car. Why anyone would want to buy a new car is beyond me...
So not only will you have a large monthly car payment, if you want to actually drive it, you will have to fork over another $80.00 to Toyota to even start the vehicle? That day ain't ever comin' for me.

So not only will you have a large monthly car payment, if you want to actually drive it, you will have to fork over another $80.00 to Toyota to even start the vehicle? That day ain't ever comin' for me.

No. The talk is you pay $80/year to start the vehicle remotely.

I expect that a Toyota has the similar options to start their vehicle as a new Challenger does (depending on the level of equipment). For a new Challenger, you can start it the following ways; 1. With the key or start button while sitting in the vehicle. 2. With the remote start button on the the fob (if so equipped). 3. Using the UConnect app if the vehicle has the 8.4 screen and you pay for a UConnect subscription. The last method cost money and if you didn’t want the option you didn’t pay the fee.

For a Toyota, there are certainly options 1 and 2, not sure about option 3. I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole deal hadn’t been blown out of proportion and the only thing Toyota is charging for is an app or something (option 3). My understanding was that they were going to charge for the option to remote start using the fob, but it isn’t anything I really care about so I haven’t put in any effort to verify it.

No. The talk is you pay $80/year to start the vehicle remotely.

I expect that a Toyota has the similar options to start their vehicle as a new Challenger does (depending on the level of equipment). For a new Challenger, you can start it the following ways; 1. With the key or start button while sitting in the vehicle. 2. With the remote start button on the the fob (if so equipped). 3. Using the UConnect app if the vehicle has the 8.4 screen and you pay for a UConnect subscription. The last method cost money and if you didn’t want the option you didn’t pay the fee.

For a Toyota, there are certainly options 1 and 2, not sure about option 3. I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole deal hadn’t been blown out of proportion and the only thing Toyota is charging for is an app or something (option 3). My understanding was that they were going to charge for the option to remote start using the fob, but it isn’t anything I really care about so I haven’t put in any effort to verify it.
Hopefully the South Korean auto manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai will come to our rescue. Yes, we will be driving around in our gook made auto boxers and believe we are smart and smug.
But then that is just not me, I will drive the 83 D150 and the 68B until there is no other option.
Then it’s the wheelchair for mobility, or maybe we will have those flying cars by then.

-
Back