Dodge Neon Transmission won't shift

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my girlfriend's '02 Neon transmission. I'm hoping you guys could help out. I don't know squat about transmissions unfortunately.

Here's what's been going on.
It's been shifting hard at random for the past year. When I mean hard I mean HARD. It's a big kathunk and jolt. Well today it was going into third I believe, then either slipped or went to neutral for a second, and then stuck in second. Which is limp mode I believe?

I have a code scanner at work, I'll bring it home tomorrow and update this post with any codes that may have been thrown. The check engine light was already on due to an evap code, so I can't tell yet if it threw one or not for the trans.

Is this a solenoid problem? Or is the transmission shot? I can't afford to replace the transmission right now. Is there enough evidence towards it being the solenoid to try and replace the solenoid?

Thanks,
Drake

the 02 neon's automatic transmissions are the first year they are fully computer controled (4 speed auto) maybe one of the shift solenoids are sticking, have you had the transmission serviced? (fluid flushed filter changed etc. ?)

My son has/ i paid for it a 2002 neon, It was down shifting hard real bad, took it to a tranny shop and they flashed the eprom and reprogramed the shift points, we drained tranny fluid and installed a new filter, synthic ATF 4, used a bottle of Lucas oil tranny stuff, has 125,000 on it now and not had anymore issues, this all happened at 78,000. I think you will have to take it to a tranny shop IMO. Hope that helps.

Input and Output sensors very common problem. As stated above second is limp mode.
Sensors are not hard to change they are external on top front if I remember right.Been awhile. Good Luck

Thanks guys! Replacing the solenoid fixed it! We'll see how long this repair lasts. I'll trying having it reflashed to.

Cheers!
Drake

-
Back