Dodge or Lancer?

-

pinkiedog64

Reaction score
Sort of a strange question that I thought of while looking through the FSM for my '62 Lancer wagon. For a given procedure, such as adjusting the steering gearbox, it says something like “For Dodge, adjust it this way, and for Lancer, adjust it this way.” Similar statements are throughout the book. Almost like Lancer was its own entity back then. Perhaps something similar to the 1961 Dart truck that was the same as the Sweptline era trucks, but had a different name. Can anyone educate me? Purely curious.

Thanks,
Stephan

Sort of a strange question that I thought of while looking through the FSM for my '62 Lancer wagon. For a given procedure, such as adjusting the steering gearbox, it says something like “For Dodge, adjust it this way, and for Lancer, adjust it this way.” Similar statements are throughout the book. Almost like Lancer was its own entity back then. Perhaps something similar to the 1961 Dart truck that was the same as the Sweptline era trucks, but had a different name. Can anyone educate me? Purely curious.

Thanks,
Stephan

I suspect Dodge referrred to the full size Dodges (like the Custom 880s) and the new intermediate B bodies. So you are probably correct in your thinking.

That FSM covers both the Lancer and the mid-size Dodge, too (Dart and Polara). So, whenever it says "Dodge", it means the Dart/Polara.

When the A-bodies were first introduced, they were conceived of as a separate line. Originally, it was going to be just Valiant as a separate line (so it would be Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth and Valiant) but then Dodge wanted in, so they added the Lancer. After a year or two of this they gave up and rolled them back into the corporate divisions. The wording in the manual is probably a relic of this.

-
Back