Dodge Ram Diffy

-

72dustyer

All go, no show
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this one, but does anyone know of a reliable rear diffy for my '03. Lost everything yesterday on the PA turnpike... just locked up. Had to have it towed to my house and it's leaking gear oil all over my driveway. Everything I read about those 9 1/4 rears is bad. Tru-trac maybe? I need some help on this one and I'm definately not going with a stock one.

Where are you at? I am just south of philly. Biggest problem with the 9 1/4 is the side adjusters tend to move. They are adjusted with a long hex up the axle tube and rely solely on the bearing cap to keep them from rotating. No lock tabs like on an 8 3/4 diff. I would pull the cover and see what is left. You may be able to fix your rear or just get one from a u pull it yard.

Depending what really happened but going by what was limited in the explanation it sounds like the cross shaft may have broke.

Remove the cover and see what really happened.

However was the rear prior to that, was it making any noise at all ???
Any vibrations at all ??

I never seen the 9.25 just really grenade, and i have done many of them even for hp apps with 4.56 and 4.88 never had a failure.

I gotta pull it apart this weekend. Then I'll see. I assume the posi spool is gone and possibly the ring gear? I heard the new process posi is the weak link. Don't they have those stupid C clips. Don't know much about them.
@mischiefdart- I'm like 40 min West of Philly, Just past Pottstown.

Alright pulled it all apart and found the pinion bearings went causing the pinion gear to bind into the ring gear... which was missing some teeth. There was alot of metal in the case. Pretty much trashed it.
So that leads to my original question. What is the best internals for this thing. I went to Rany's Ring and Gear to look at some of ther stuff. Any suggestions www.ringpinion.com

You could use AAM, Precision, Motive make sure you get the real timken bearings and not the china copies.
So it was making noise prior to and was ignored costing you more than just a re-bearing job.
When a diff starts making any noise something is wrong, don't keep driving it, that will lead to more expensive fix.

-
Back