Dodge stratus

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
ok so here is my question.I have a 01 stratus with 2.4 litre 4 banger that runs awesome and looks like crap,I have acess to a 04 stratus that looks new insside and out ,but has a blown 2.7 v6.my question is will i have any problems swapping the 4 in place ot the v6.thanks ........................................Jeff:burnout:

It will definitely not be a small job, for sure. You'll have to swap the pcm and wiring harness with the new engine. You might not have to swap the tranny, but you probably will along with it's tcm. The deal breaker will be the CAN bus communication systems. If they both use the same system you're good. If not, the swap will be a no go. Chances are they both use the same system, but I would want to be 100% sure on that one.

Wow, you're in for a heck of a job and not an easy one at that.
You'll have several factors to worry about, wiring harness, speedo cluster, with or with out auto stick, TCM, ECM. It will get expensive quick.
If the VIN is burned into the ECM, it will not talk to the CAN BUS system.
My recommendation, rebuild the crappy 2.7, replace it or buy another car. An engine switch is not practical on these cars.

It all depends on if the 04 is an early or late build. 04 is the year they changed the computer system. He quick and easy way to tell is to look at the computer. Up front on the drivers side. If yo. Have two running front to back hen it is an early build and the swap will not be too bad. If it has a single so outer hat runs side to side then it will not be worth the hassle.

Thanks for the replys,I think I will just drive the 01 for now and maybe get a reman later for the 04.Thanks again...........................................Jeff

Both those together in 100% great condition are not worth half the labor it would take to do it.

buy the 04, then come over here and ill sell you my /6-904 combo
that stratus will outlive both of us

The 2.7l engine can be rebuilt. I brought one back from sludged up timing chain jumped, and smashed valves. It takes sometime to get everything clean. What is wrong with the one you have?

hi
i wouldnt waste my time on a 2.7 v6 they are a crap motor exspesive to rebuild,all of them have oil use and sludge problems,timing chaings jump water pumps leak. i have an 04 sebring conv and the engine was completely rebuilt at 112,000 miles and after 10,000 miles it uses oil ,lifters tick at times, water pump went out again and took the timing chain guilds at the same time,, biggest pos engine made,.. cost me 2800.$ when rebuilt plus my labor. not worth the headaches.

Sell off the 4 cyl. car, and put that money toward a replacement 6 cylinder for the good looking car. Once you have the engine it's a weekend swap. You're on the road, by Monday morning.

....and it's probably cheaper, too.

better look at kelly blue book prices first ..before buying the 2.7 stratus, then see what money you have to spend to fix it, probally more than what the car is worth..

better look at kelly blue book prices first ..before buying the 2.7 stratus, then see what money you have to spend to fix it, probally more than what the car is worth..

Das wut I'm tawkin bowt.

-
Back