Does a '74 BBD need mods to run on a /6?

-

Duggie

Reaction score
I have a 1974 model year BBD to put on my '64 /6. Head is at the machine shop for an expected 8.7-1 static compression, stock cam for now, probably points ignition for now, and tube headers.

Are there internal modifications needed to make this carb function optimally on my slant?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:
IMG_8575.JPG

IMG_8574.JPG

Nice that the carb as the tag that identifies it. Most of the time those are long gone.
You probably know this, that carb will likely have some extra vacuum - vent ports that should be capped.

Nice that the carb as the tag that identifies it. Most of the time those are long gone.
You probably know this, that carb will likely have some extra vacuum - vent ports that should be capped.
My 1920 carb had two vacuum ports and I think this BBD has five. I wanted a clean slate to start with so I paid the extra bucks for a NOS carb that was still in the box. Bought a bag of these rubber caps on a forum member tip to plug unwanted ports. If anyone wants a few caps in the mail let me know. I now own six lifetimes worth of caps!
IMG_8659.jpg

I've been gathering info on this model carb and think I have a pretty good info base to work from. (I think!) I'm still prepping exhaust for when my buddy who knows how to melt metal together comes by, but am looking forward to seeing how this carb may differ in vacuum to the distributor. Someone before me put in a different distributor and it has 37 deg of advance in by 2600RPM. I haven't looked at spring weights or for the vacuum can adjustment screw yet. I thought I was going to have electronic ignition by now, but my budget is shot getting this far. :D

If I did 1 thing to that carb before I put it on, I'd lose those limiter caps on the mixture screws.

If I did 1 thing to that carb before I put it on, I'd lose those limiter caps on the mixture screws.
I read about how to remove the limiter caps using a soldering iron or #10 sheet metal screw. These caps don't have a tab on them to limit the number of turns outward so I left them alone for now...

No need for any of that to get those caps off. Sometimes you can grip them with a pair of pliers, I priced mine off from the side /had to rotate the mixture screws a bit and walk them off but it wasn't very tough to get them off.

-
Back