Does anyone have an idiot neighbour?

-
There is an old law in Gilbert that says it is legal to shoot a bow and arrow on your property. This is an old law from when Gilbert was mostly farm property that was never changed. The neighborhoods here are no longer farm or horse property. I'm luck if there is 15 ft between our two houses.

My neighbor shoots in bow competitions and practices in his backyard. Normally this wouldn't bother me as much except that his target is on the side of the fence that we share and I have had several arrows end up in my yard over the years. His father even came to retrieve on of them from the fence on the other side of my yard because it was one with one of his good hunting arrow heads on it. He is a big guy and he had to use both hands and his foot on the fence to get this arrow out of the fence.

When my sister and her kids moved in I politely asked them to move the target or to stop all together, they refused. When I first got my dogs I politely asked them again to stop and they refused.

One day I went outside for a smoke and he was shooting. One arrow went between the fence slats and luckily got stopped half way. I hollered so that he could hear me and got his attention. Calmly walked up to the fence and told him that I wasn't going to tolerate it anymore, "legal" or not. He again said that he would not stop because he couldn't afford time at a range. I told him ok, shoot back there all you want, but the next time an arrow tries or comes into my yard I would use everyone in his house at the time for "target practice" with my .45.

He hasn't shot back there since then. That was the first time one of us has been in the backyard when one of his arrows tried to go though the fence and I was furious. I know I probably should not have made the threat, but thats my family he was endangering and it needed to stop. He hasn't talked to me since then either. I think I asked on here at one time if anyone knew about the laws regarding this whole thing.

Anyway, a bit long winded, but that's my idiot neighbor story.

You're lucky he didn't have you arrested for threatening his family. I would have...I'd have called 911 on the spot.

I have a couple of good neighbors. Recently fenced in our property, 5 acres. Back edge of property has a pretty steep hill, some trees that are just in the wrong spot. And the property line is at a bit of an angle. When I was scratching my head about it Butch came over and told me to not worry about the property line, put the fence up where ever it was easiest. He told me he has no use for anything beyond where his property starts to drop off. On the side there is a big tree right on the property line. I was going to move the fence line onto my property.....Jim told me to put it on his side.....Also made the fence a bit easier to deal with, where it ended up was a bit more even than where I was going ot put it....

We do have one of "those" neighbors. Woman down the road. She used to ride her atv up & down the road. More like she would ride from our one fence post to the other one 336' or so....going between both fence posts tormenting the snot out of our 3 dogs. Ernestina talked to her 6 or 7 times about it. Last time Ernie talked to her it was in front of her husband....who proceeded to jump down her throat telling her to stop. She stopped til her husband went on a hunting trip. We were coming down the road one day and there she was racing back & forth between the fence posts. I told her that this was going to be her one and only warning from me...next time there would be some bird shot from my 12 gauge raining down on her. She has yet to be back. I did talk to her husband about it, after I talked to her. He told me that he had several discussions with her about it....and that he would talk to her one more time. As to the shotgun....he told me to do what ever I had to......

Living out in the country, see several folks riding there atvs on our roads. Could not care less about it, just do not torment my dogs.

You're lucky he didn't have you arrested for threatening his family. I would have...I'd have called 911 on the spot.

He and anyone else can the cops on me all he wants. Those arrows going into my yard is a major threat to my family.

-
Back