does anyone know what this wheel is from?

-

racerbob

Reaction score
I got a pair of these strange looing 15" steel wheels on a 69 fury parts car. They are large bolt pattern , so probably from an old Mopar or Ford product. I have looked around and kinda think they may be from a 1949 -1951 Mopar, but I am not sure?

they have these five clips riveted to the center area, clips appear to be for securing hupcaps, I think?

Does anyone recognize them or have any ideas of where I can look this up at?

Attachments

• DSC_0193.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 308
Looks like 40 to 55 plymouth to me.
My grandpa welded the king pins in a straight axle to make a trailer years ago.
Are they 14" or 15"
Most likely off a truck

I looked one over and could not find any markings, but will do a closer inspection after I remove the tires .

These are 15" rims, so they must be 1949 or later (since plymouth's had 16" tires up to 1946) and they switched to 14" tires sometime in mid 50's?

Looks like 40 to 55 plymouth to me.
Most likely off a truck

Half Ton trucks ran 16" Wheels in the 30's - 50's.

Here's a set of 16" 1940's Dodge Wheels on my '84 Dodge D50

S5000163.jpg

And the same type on my '48 Dodge, You can even see the clips on it for the hubcaps. They ran Steel (chrome plated) "Moon" Hubcaps that had the brand stamped/embossed in the surface. The caps for my '48 have fancy "Dodge" logos on them, and the caps for my grandfather's '48 Plymouth have a Sailboat & Plymouth on them

S5000079.jpg

3/4 Ton & Higher had 6-Lug Wheels with a massive bolt pattern (something like 8" or 10" Bolt Pattern, I'd have to measure the Dana 70 i have behind the garage)

I'd say the wheels in question are for a 40's / 50's Dodge/Plymouth Car, inside the wheel you won't find any Pentastar or "DPCD" logos, you might find a DPCD logo or some part numbers on a few wheels, but most had nothing to identify them. I've got a bunch of those wheels off of cars & trucks, along with a bunch of military jeep wheels too

The clips are definitely to hold hubcaps.
They are not mid-fifties Mopar. Here is a pic of one of the original wheels on my old '55 Plymouth. Mine had full hubcaps but you can see the dimples in the center for holding dogdishes. And they were only 4,5" wide.
Plymouth switched to 14" in 1957.

Attachments

• wheelweb1.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 128
-
Back