Does Anyone Use Timing Chain Tensioner On Stroker

-

73dart360

Reaction score
I Was Wondering Is Anybody Using A Timing Chain Tensioner On Their Stroker Motor What Benefits If Any?

Stroker or Stock stroke doesn't matter for the tensioner, but the next engine i build i will run one. I understand its a little of a pain to install. But more consistant ignition/cam timing is the gain.

Anyone that sells Mopar Perf. parts can get them. They are around $45

Found it on this site....
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/a.html

ten.gif

Timing chain tensioner
"A" engine and magnum replaces the thrust plate.designed for "A" engine as well as 3.9L,5.2L,5.9L, and magnum engines.
5007709 use instead of thrust plate P5249637. 29.95

Not a stroker it's just a 360 thats 40 over. I think this one was around 35-40 on ebay "buy it now" they aren't too hard to put on.

100_1114.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_1117.jpg

I'm gonna run this part # 5007709 by the local dodge house tomorrow and see if they stock it.....8)

Mopar small blocks are tall by design and the cam is positioned high. This has a lot of advantages including the ability to add a stroker crank with minor mods as well as the Mopar SB having longer rods which leads to a more favorable rod/stroke ratio.

The problem is that now we have to have a longer cam chain. The longer the cam chain, the greater the tendency for the chain to stretch. As the chain stretches, the timing, both cam and ignition tend to vary. The tensioner eliminates the slop but as the chain stretches, the cam/ignition still comes out of timing in relation to the crank but doesn't flop around.

Just food for thought.

I use one on my stroker and it wasn't to tough to install. It definetly helps with the chain slop. Even though my chain was new there was still some play in it that is now gone. It's a good feeling to know that everything is turning consistent now and not moving around. Well worth the $30.00 spent.

I agree it's money well spent for the reasons Ramcharger mentioned. I put one on my 360 when I rebuilt it and by eliminating the slop (even my new high dollar billet set had some play) you can dial in the cam timing more accurately. They aren't hard to install but once you pull the pin to release the tensioner it's tough to get back together if you have to take it apart for any reason. Save that pin just to have in case you do need to take it apart. I didn't and had to use a drill bit but it didn't work as good as the original pin cause one size was too small and the next was too big.

They are standard equip. on 318 and 360 magnums.

Just installed one tonight, no problem to install. Anyone know why this design uses only three bolts to mount it to the block? I just degreed in my cam after I built the motor and installed it in the car, I like to do things the hard way.
Found my MP solid 528 6 degrees retarded. I am expecting great things when I get this motor running.

Just installed one tonight, no problem to install. Anyone know why this design uses only three bolts to mount it to the block?quote]

Probably because the newer blocks only have 3 bolt holes. My 79 360 only has 3 but I have a 73 360 and had numerous 340's that all had 4 holes. So somewhere in between 73 and 79 they dropped one bolt hole. Why, who knows. Probably to save a nickel on every engine they sold. These tensioners were originally designed for the Magnum engines which only have 3 holes.

-
Back