Does it ever end?

-

BWDart

Reaction score
Went to start the Dart and it acted like it was tryin to kick back, it started so I pulled it out to get the other car out that was behind it came back into the garage and found this on the floor. The snout not the starter. What would cause this? been in the car for almost 3 yrs, starter came from 440 source

IMG_20220907_065211591.jpg

Last edited:
Went to start the Dart and it acted like it was tryin to kick back, it started so I pulled it out to get the other car out that was behind it came back into the garage and found this on the floor. What would cause this? been in the car for almost 3 yrs, starter came from 440 source

View attachment 1715982007
Were the mounting bolts tight when you took them off?

Timing too far advanced?
Garbage fuel
Carburetor (or fuel injection) leaking causing cylinder hydraulic lock
Cheap casting?
Shall I go on? Your car investigate.

If it was on for 3 yrs no problems, I would say timing advanced and it kicked back?
Runnin 12 initial been startin fine till now
Just another in a long string of problems fix one thing something else breaks gettin tired of it for sure

Runnin 12 initial been startin fine till now
Just another in a long string of problems fix one thing something else breaks gettin tired of it for sure
As your personal wellness therapist, I can put you out of your misery and you will make $300. When can I pick it up LOL.

I've heard of timing being too far advanced and causing kickback and damaging the starter or shearing it clean off like that. Fellas with more experience can better advise on how to proceed. Pull the inspection cover and check for any further damage or floating pieces. Sometimes this can break teeth on flexplate/flywheel.

Went to start the Dart and it acted like it was tryin to kick back, it started so I pulled it out to get the other car out that was behind it came back into the garage and found this on the floor. What would cause this? been in the car for almost 3 yrs, starter came from 440 source

View attachment 1715982007

Dude, if my car shat a starter out on to the floor, I'd put down a blanket or something so it doesn't break the nose off, and then I'd start selling those starters. Technically speaking, birthing a starter here qualifies it as Made in USA.

Today is a gift. Make the most of it.

Dude, if my car shat a starter out on to the floor, I'd put down a blanket or something so it doesn't break the nose off, and then I'd start selling those starters. Technically speaking, birthing a starter here qualifies it as Made in USA.

Today is a gift. Make the most of it.
I pulled the starter this mornin it didn't fall out

Had a starter explode like that on a Ford V6, the engine was hydrolocked due to head gasket leak.

You did not say what engine.

IIRC the mini starters in a SBM the snout does not go into it's index hole in the bell housing (or something like that)

Could that be causing excessive flex on the starter nose?

You did not say what engine.

IIRC the mini starters in a SBM the snout does not go into it's index hole in the bell housing (or something like that)

Could that be causing excessive flex on the starter nose?
LA 360 that could be possible

100% that is one of those cheap Chinese starters... I got the same exact one from speedmaster last Black Friday and it didn't even work or I should say it completely worked and wouldn't stop working LOL... It was against my better judgment that I bought it I know better...
Both my 98 Durango and 98 ram have their original starters that's why I always go to the Pick-n-Pull and get a starter for a Magnum engine for 20 bucks and clean it up with WD-40 and have one in my duster and in my power wagon and never had a problem with them...

-
Back