Does it help much at all....?

-
I pop mine when I get done driving..cant hurt..I figured if anything it MAY help get the heat out and not percolate my fuel(that ive had problems with in the past).

All engines without an electric fan will get hotter for a while when the car is parked. No water circulating and cooling the engine will do that, just look at the temp gauge a couple of minutes after shutting the engine off..
Now this isn't really a problem on our cars, it's not like we're talking about extreme heat and it doesn't usually affect anything but it would still be a smart thing to do to avoid heating all underhood items and the paint on the hood.
When it comes to the old movies I can understand why they did it. Older cars with large cast iron engines and simpler cooling systems had a tendency to get overheated carbs when shut off. The fuel in the carb gets hot and makes the car run rough if started after a few minutes. This can also happen when idling for a long time. I have a '51 Chevrolet with a stovebolt six that has this problem once in a while, for instance when filling gas and starting the engine after a few minutes. Doesn't happen at all if I raise the hood. I Used to have a '55 Plymouth that had a large heat shield between the intake and the carb to avoid this problem and it worked like a charm. Will make one for the Chevy when I get around to it.

-
Back