Does small bolt pattern = 5x100? [PICS]

-

71_Demon

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a 5x100 rim on a small bolt pattern car? I was playing around in the garage this weekend and tried fitting a 5x100 wheel I had from my wife's old PT Cruiser on my small bolt pattern Demon. The rim fit fine and I was able to bolt it on. Obviousely the offset was off because the rim was designed for a front wheel drive vehicle but it seemed to fit fine aside from coming into contact with the leaf spring.

IMG_0265.jpg

BTW anywone interested in a set of chrome 17" wheels and tires for a PT cruiser? :wink:

Well, it's not exact.

But, 100mm is equal to 3.937 inches. So your lug pattern would be .07 inches off. I think that's well within the gap that the wheels seem to be loose anyway.

The only problem might be, using tapered lug bolts as most people do, when they go to tighten down it may not work properly (If there's not enough room to clear the outside of the nut).

My point is, it may put too much stress on one side of the stud.

I think you will find that on the front they won't fit over the hub. I tried them (wheels from a Daytona I had) on my 68 Barracuda when it was still sbc and the chamfer on the register hole was fine to allow it to go onto the rear wheel but would not fit flush to the drum on the front.

If you were to open up the center register hole they would likely not center properly on the lugs because of the difference in the bolt circles.

I keep one of those mini spares from a late model Dodge Minivan as my spare tire in my trunk. It's small and light and allows me to shove booster cables and other stuff in around the spare. I have a scissor type jack from an anonymous car as well.

Because my trunk is so small, every little bit of space is valuable!

It fits on all four wheels (but I have to admit I haven't tried it on the front since I converted to KH disc brakes) , but because of my suregrip rear I would need to remove a front tire and put it on the back if I got a back flat.

I highly recommend this type of spare tire to anyone running small bolt pattern!

Neil
'65 Barracuda S in Ottawa, Ontario

-
Back