Does the Master Cylinder pushrod come out on a 64

-

macman340

Reaction score
Switching to front disc's , upon removing the original 64 master cylinder Ive attempted to remove the old pushrod, but haven't had any luck! Is there a trick?

No trick. You just have to overcome the rubber or spring holding it in.

I put the mc in a vice and clip my slide hammer to the rod. Usually 2-3 good slams and the rod comes out.

Best

CE

I leave the MC installed. Back the brake light switch off, and simply pull back on the pedal. Done.

Easier and faster: remove the pushrod before removing the master cylinder from the car. You take off all four nuts holding it to the firewall, pull it forward (which will move the brake pedal to the floor), put a chunk of wood or similar between the master cylinder and the firewall, go in the car and give a stiff pull upward on the brake pedal. Pop goes the pushrod, still attached to the pivot at the top of the brake pedal arm. Nice to have a helper to grab the master cylinder when it wants to fall away from the firewall.

I have been known to put a master cylinder w/pushrod on the firewall and loosely put the pivot bolt thru the pushrod to use this method rather than hunt up a slide hammer and mess with the vise.

Easier and faster than what ?
Why remove the 4 bolts of the MC ?
Back off the brake light switch, and pull back on the pedal.
Done.
No wood block, No helper necessary.

I've always found my way a lot easier and faster than monkeying with the brake light switch twice (once to remove, once to install), but go with y'self.

Easier and faster: remove the pushrod before removing the master cylinder from the car. You take off all four nuts holding it to the firewall, pull it forward (which will move the brake pedal to the floor), put a chunk of wood or similar between the master cylinder and the firewall, go in the car and give a stiff pull upward on the brake pedal. Pop goes the pushrod, still attached to the pivot at the top of the brake pedal arm. Nice to have a helper to grab the master cylinder when it wants to fall away from the firewall.

I have been known to put a master cylinder w/pushrod on the firewall and loosely put the pivot bolt thru the pushrod to use this method rather than hunt up a slide hammer and mess with the vise.
Nice !
I followed .
SWEET !
Thanks for the share Dan.

Are you staying with the same master? If you changing the master to something from a 2 chamber late-A body. I don't think that pushrod will work. On my 65 I used a 73 A-Body manual break master with the pushrod that goes with the 72 set up. Hope that helps...

Are you staying with the same master? If you changing the master to something from a 2 chamber late-A body. I don't think that pushrod will work. On my 65 I used a 73 A-Body manual break master with the pushrod that goes with the 72 set up. Hope that helps...
Thanks, after a lot of persuasion , I was able to get it loose from the old MC, & yes I am using the new setup! I didn't want to spring for a new adjustable pushrod is there a source for replacement originals?

No reason why your '64 pushrod should be incompatible with that master cylinder. Get a new pushrod retainer (rubber bushing that holds the pushrod into the piston).

-
Back