Does The Steering Box Need Replaced?

-

JRod01

Jesus is my Savior!
Reaction score
Hope this lets me attach a video. I assure you all the ball joints, control arms, bushings, etc. have been replaced and are brand new. I see some grease coming out of the input shaft on the box. Does it need replaced? Can I rebuild it in the car? Suggestions? This is a major job to get this box out as it requires the engine and header being disconnected.
Video link below:

Sounds like its hitting something, maybe the oil pan? Is it up on jacks???

Jake

Sounds like its hitting something, maybe the oil pan? Is it up on jacks???

Jake
No it's free and clear under there. There's a ton of grease coming out of the input shaft on the steering box however. I think that's the suspect.

It sounds like your lower bearing. Can you climb under it and look at the shaft/arm while someone turns the wheel above to see if the shaft has play?

It sounds like your lower bearing. Can you climb under it and look at the shaft/arm while someone turns the wheel above to see if the shaft has play?

I did. The main shaft out of the steering box moves about .020 left to right. I didn't think that was bad but now I'm second guessing.

Thank you. Perhaps I'll try rebuilding it. It's just such a nightmare to remove this with a big block. The price you pay I suppose.
This is where I'm going to get alot of flak. Is it possible to do this with the box in the car? I would have to disconnect the engine/mounts/headers/torsion bar, otherwise. With the links above, it doesn't sound like anything would need pressed out. Thoughts? I'm not trying to skip anything important. If I have to, I will remove it. Of course I want it done right.

This is where I'm going to get alot of flak. Is it possible to do this with the box in the car? I would have to disconnect the engine/mounts/headers/torsion bar, otherwise. With the links above, it doesn't sound like anything would need pressed out. Thoughts? I'm not trying to skip anything important. If I have to, I will remove it. Of course I want it done right.

Nothing needs pressing out. But as the threads show there are lose needle bearing and you don't want to risk dropping any of them.
Pull it out if you think it needs service. I wouldn't even consider doing it in the car.
You would need to clean the housing out probably anyway.

Nothing needs pressing out. But as the threads show there are lose needle bearing and you don't want to risk dropping any of them.
Pull it out if you think it needs service. I wouldn't even consider doing it in the car.
You would need to clean the housing out probably anyway.
Thank you. I will begin the process. Ugh.

-
Back