Does the wear on these forks look acceptable for reuse?

-

abodylurker

Reaction score
Looking at these pictures, does the wear look acceptable for reuse? They look pretty good to me but my judgement is based on little experience. I'm putting them in a 69 23 spline to replace brass ones and the trans is behind 350ish horse 360 and 3:55 gears.

Attachments

• shifter fork 1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 209
  • shifter fork 2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 228
For what it is worth I would use them again in a heartbeat. Do you have the proper side plate and interlock mechanism to go with them?

No, I'm going to cut off the threaded part and reuse the ball and detent side cover. I thought these looked good because I figure ones in a car that the shifter is used as a armrest would show a lot of face wear. I still remember my Dad yelling at me to curb that habit before it started. Thanks for the reply.

use a dremel and cut the tits off where they step down and your good to go with them. Brass shift forks kill 4 speeds. You are doing one of the best mods that there is to keep a mopar 4 speed alive.

What's the proper (virgin) thickness of the contact pads for a steel shift fork?

I have two steel forks an both are worn - I would like to restore them using hard brazing.

I cant really tell from the pics.The 1-2 looks quite worn, and the 3-4 seems to be wearing in the wrong spot.
If you can get close-ups of the wear pads, from a couple of angles, and well lit, I can offer a better opinion, but as it stands, Id have to say they need repairs. Of course the sliders that come with them will be similarly worn. You can have the pads hard-brazed up to fit good sliders.

-
Back