Does this 833 sound good?

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
"Chrysler Dodge Plymouth Mopar 4 Speed Overdrive Transmission this has the small bearing retainer aprox. 4 7/8", trans is in excellent cond. levers work perfect, no broken teeth looks new inside. "

Does this sound any good? Would it be good for a 360 rebuild? Im asking because Im not sure what the small bearing retainer is...can i make it work with a 360?

5d27_1.jpg

5db1_1.jpg

5e37_1.jpg

5ed5_1.jpg

That tranny would have had the the large bearing retainer (5 1/8") on the front. The smaller one (actually the middle size of the three used on A833) may make it a little easier finding a bell housing to go with it.

The aluminum main case on that tranny is not as strong as the iron case used on early production trannies but will be fine if your plans are not all out drag racing. The gear spacing in the A833OD is also not ideal for max straight line acceleration but is fine for a street cruiser.

I have one in my 68 Barracuda with a 370 HP 360 with 3.55 gears and I am quite satisfied. The engine is turning just over 2000 rpm at 70 mph and will still run a 13.7 @ 102 1/4.

The only thing I would consider swapping it out for would be a 5 or 6 speed manual.

-
Back