Does this ever get any easier?

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Will be putting Red, our 12+ year old Redbone Coonhound to sleep on Monday. Arthritis has gotten drastically worse. He has some fatty tumors, at least one of them is causing him to have this dry, hacking cough. Queenie, our 13 year old Cattle Dog had some sort of stomach bug. Red apparently picked it up. While Queenie has gotten over it Red has not. Has real bad diarrhea. We have given him pumpkin with his meals, has helped a little, but not much.
I promised my self no tears...yet they are rolling down my face as I type this. This sucks....

I'm really sorry. No, it never gets any easier. Best to think of your pet's best interest.

4 years ago I waited probably two weeks too long to take my border collie in. I was selfish and only thought of myself. It was the hardest thing I ever did. Luckily for me afterwards, I had to drive two hours...gave me plenty of time to myself.

We'll see them at the Rainbow Bridge.

Not the pup!! Doug, I know how much you love those dogs, and I'm really saddened by this news!! Give em lots of love, he's a great best friend! My heart goes out to you and Ernie!!! Geof

Sorry to hear this Doug.

Don't worry, I cried when I put my last dog down...

Spend as much time with him as you can and let him know that he's loved before he's gone...

I feel your pain reading this. Sorry to hear this. Love hurts at times.

Darryl

Sorry to see you, Ernie and Red go thru this. I think about Jemma every day, Lori had to put her down almost 2 years ago while I was out west. Absolutely heart wrenching. Dad made a casket for her, and Garrett dug the hole in the dark and I got to see the burial thru Skype. I miss that yappy little ***** every day...LOL

Real sorry, Doug. I can certainly sympathize.

Sorry to hear inkjunkie.

No - but you're doing the best thing for your suffering pet. Hang in there!

I 've had dogs and horses all my life. I grow a different relation with the dogs. they are just like family. they are family! so when I have to put one down or lose one in any way, yes. I cry like a baby.
having to make that decision to put that dog down is the hardest thing in this world. we know its best but makes it no easier. just think what is the best to do and that will tell you when it needs to be done.

My own Martin memories are too fresh right now to be of any help here Doug but know in your heart that I'm here for you. We can just hold each other up buddy ... I'm sorry to hear about your baby.

Someone once told me having a dog was training for dealing with life and loss, because we take them into our heart knowing we will (hopefully) outlive them.
As the caretaker of a 14(?) year old chow-retriever mix, who is hands-down the smartest, sweetest soul I have ever seen with fur, I feel your pain.
You have to take comfort in the quality of life you give them, and they to you.
It hurts, but in enough time all the memories will make you smile without sadness.

-
Back