Does this look like correct gas pedal assembly?

-

Jayman62

Reaction score
I will be swapping my stock 66 Dart's 1 barrel manifold to a two barrel super six manifold and Carter BBD. I read a different pedal is required since the BBD uses a cable for the throttle. The person I bought the manifold off of had this pedal from the same car, 73 or 74 duster. Does this look like it will work with my 66? I don't mind having to drill some mounting holes.

Thanks

IMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

Factory 64-65-66 pedal assembly will fit the best, but they are getting hard to find. The swing pedal you have can be made to work.

I used the swing pedal on my 63 Valiant because the 64-66 V8 pedal bracket wouldn't fit on a 63 firewall. Trimmed it a bit, and drilled (I think) one new hole. Now on mine, I cut the swing pedal off and welded a 64-66 V8 spoon and used that with a 64-66 V8 pedal. But if you can get hold of an entire 64-66 V8 pedal assembly, there would be no reason for you not to just use the early pedal assembly in its entirety. If the early setup is not obtainable, just use the swing pedal and don't cut off the pedal like I did. It wouldn't look stock, but would work just fine.

1695839819824.png

Factory 64-65-66 pedal assembly will fit the best, but they are getting hard to find. The swing pedal you have can be made to work.

I used the swing pedal on my 63 Valiant because the 64-66 V8 pedal bracket wouldn't fit on a 63 firewall. Trimmed it a bit, and drilled (I think) one new hole. Now on mine, I cut the swing pedal off and welded a 64-66 V8 spoon and used that with a 64-66 V8 pedal. But if you can get hold of an entire 64-66 V8 pedal assembly, there would be no reason for you not to just use the early pedal assembly in its entirety. If the early setup is not obtainable, just use the swing pedal and don't cut off the pedal like I did. It wouldn't look stock, but would work just fine.

View attachment 1716147025
A picture is worth a thousand words! Yes I searched around online for the early A V8 pedal but no luck. I'm not worried about looking stock, so your suggestion is terrific. Like the idea of welding on he spoon. Thanks for replying and the photo!!

Curious what did you use for the cable? Can I just purchase a 1966 V8 accelerator cable?
Well, a V8 cable would be shorter than a slant six cable I believe. I think I used a V8 cable on the four barrel slant six that used to be in my 67 Barracuda, but I was also using a V8 throttle bracket bolted to the carb base (or somewhere close to the carb base - we're talking 30+ years ago).

On my 63 Valiant, I may have used a two barrel slant six cable. Or I may have just used the 340 cable that came with the swing pedal. On the 63, I'm using a modified two barrel cable/kickdown bracket (modified because I'm running a four barrel). That bracket sits well below the carb. Can't really remember for sure what I used for a cable, and you may or may not need the same length, depending on how you're hooking it up to the carb. Best way for you to go is just to measure what length cable you need, then get that.

1695844236988.png

In your 3rd picture down, in the 1st post.....see the round hole at the bottom of the slot that the throttle cable slips up into? There is supposed to be a small plastic plug that goes in that hole to keep a loosely fitting throttle cable from popping out. Just an FYI for when you get to that point. :)

And I’ll add, if you’re going to use that later style swing pedal and weld a spoon onto the end, it will still not work with your early pedal. The slant 6 pedal has a trough on the back to accommodate the roller mechanism from the slant linkage setup. Only the V8 pedal has the flat plastic rub pad on the rear for the spoon to rub on

-
Back