Does this look right?

-

sledger46

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am putting together the 8 3/4 to go in my Dart and I have run into a couple of snags. Take a look at the photo. To me it looks like the bracket will be in the way of the piston. Your thoughts? Also, I have converted to BBP axles and got a new set of drums only to find the drums seem to be about 1/8" - 1/4" to wide. What was the proper width drum for an A body? The drums I have came from a 73 Cuda.
Thanks,
DSC05781.JPG

Hello all,

I am putting together the 8 3/4 to go in my Dart and I have run into a couple of snags. Take a look at the photo. To me it looks like the bracket will be in the way of the piston. Your thoughts? Also, I have converted to BBP axles and got a new set of drums only to find the drums seem to be about 1/8" - 1/4" to wide. What was the proper width drum for an A body? The drums I have came from a 73 Cuda.
Thanks,
DSC05781.JPG
Thats normal in the pic. If the drums don't rub on the backing plate or the inside doesn't hit the shoes, you'll be fine.

There are different width backing plates for different width drums. I believe there was 1 3/4 " for the 10" drum and 2 1/2" backing plate for the 10 1/2" drum. This I am not sure of, but you get the idea. maybe someone else will chime in to confirm. I believe 10" is standard for A-body and the E and B-Bodies had the 10 1/2" drum availible on most.

Are you still using the A Body backing plates? If so, you need to get your hands on the backing plates for a B or E Body 10" drum. The A Body 10" shoes are 1.75" wide, but the new axles are designed for 10 x 2.5" shoes. The backing plates you need are deeper, allowing for more room for the wider shoes, and keep the big-bolt pattern drums from hitting the backing plates. I went through this back when I bought my first set of Moser axles back in 1990, and several times since.

-
Back