Does this sound normal?

-
Sounds ok to me.....thought I heard a little valve train noise. Maybe a small exhaust leak...hard to tell with crummy audio.

Sounds ok to me.....thought I heard a little valve train noise. Maybe a small exhaust leak...hard to tell with crummy audio.
good ear, Yea I have a stubborn exhaust leak SOMEWHERE on the passenger side, I've replaced the manifold gaskets but still gettin it. Possibly warped manifold blew out my new gasket. I've been contemplating getting headers but I hear alot about fitting issues for the headers in my price range.

Sorry bout the crummy audio, it's a shame the camera takes pretty nice video :p

good ear, Yea I have a stubborn exhaust leak SOMEWHERE on the passenger side, I've replaced the manifold gaskets but still gettin it. Possibly warped manifold blew out my new gasket. I've been contemplating getting headers but I hear alot about fitting issues for the headers in my price range.

Sorry bout the crummy audio, it's a shame the camera takes pretty nice video :p

If it's the passenger side manifold, I can tell you where it is. It's the hot air valve. They are notorious for leakin. You need to remove the manifold, take that valve out, chunk it in the garbage. Drill and tap the holes for pipe plugs, plug um off and never look back. While you have the manifold off, check to make sure you don't have later model heads on it with the exhaust holes under the exhaust ports for air injection. That's a common mistake people make is to not plug those holes. Course the best thing to do is sling some headers on it. I've had good luck with Summit brand headers in the past.

It's got X heads and these manifolds are High performance manifolds from what i'm told. I know for a fact though that it's got x heads and 340 intake. I do not recall having anything like what your describing on the manifold though... but it's worth a look to be for sure.

It's got X heads and these manifolds are High performance manifolds from what i'm told. I know for a fact though that it's got x heads and 340 intake. I do not recall having anything like what your describing on the manifold though... but it's worth a look to be for sure.

It's easy to tell. If the manifold has holes in the exit 180* apart from each other, with a shaft in it, there you go. Which manifolds are they? The early ones or the late ones? There are two styles of the hipo manifolds. I don't think the early ones had the heat riser valve.....I cannot remember.

Here's an old pic of it, you are more knowledgeable then I, perhaps you could tell me?

Attachments

• manifolds2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 160
The passenger side manifold is not an early hipo manifold. Don't know about the driver's side. Didn't see a flapper on manifold but there might be one there, don't know.

I've had some carbs make a loud sucking sound when they had an internal problem that was causing them to pull fuel through the venturies at idle. Easy way to tell if this is your problem is to (very carefully, best way is to use a mirror) look down the throat of the carb while the engin is idling. If fuel is dripping or running from a booster venturi there's a problem.

First off, that's probably not a hipo 340 manifold. ALL of the later ones I have ever seen have a strengthing rib like this one. Also note where the heat riser shaft hole is. There is another hole for it on the opposing side. I'm not saying it's not a 340 manifold....because Lord knows I ain't seen it all. BUT, I have NEVER seen a later 340 manofold without that rib. Never. Here IS a later 340 manifold.

Attachments

• 340 MANIFOLD.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 174
And regardless of whether the flapper valve is actually there....the holes for the shaft probably are and need to be plugged.....or repaired if you wanna go that route. You can get new bushings and repair the heat riser if that's how you wanna do it. I've always just removed the valve and plugged the holes. At any rate, If you remove the manifold, wherever it's leakin should be obvious from the carbon trail the leak has left. I would remove it again and LOOK at it very closely. You'll find it.

This is what I'm lookin at...
I'm pretty sure these are 318 manifolds... That bad for the X-heads?

Attachments

• bah1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 157
  • bah2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 146
  • bah3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 146
go get some headers you will be happier and buy percy's gaskets are the best i have found and they are reusable.

go get some headers you will be happier and buy percy's gaskets are the best i have found and they are reusable.
Well, I just got a good offer on a pair of hookers...
maybe when I'm done with them I'll get some headers ;)

but seriously : How difficult is install on a pair of headers, can it be done with the engine as it sits?

Your leak is in that first pic. See the black on the flange of the manifold on the inside towards the block? That's an exhaust leak. That's what you wanna look for.

Right where the pipe meets the manifold on that left side. See the black?
attachment.php

Your leak is in that first pic. See the black on the flange of the manifold on the inside towards the block? That's an exhaust leak. That's what you wanna look for.

Right where the pipe meets the manifold on that left side. See the black?
attachment.php

Damn, how did I overlook that?? :p guess I posted these pics before I really looked at them. I better adjust those bolts. I still think I'll get the headers, I'm sure in the long run they will be better. Thanks SS

-
Back