Dog Attack

-

dibbons

Reaction score
About ten minutes ago my Doberman (on leash as always) and I were out for our evening walk. We were attacked by two dogs in El Centenario on Calle Cuarta between Palo Fierro and Cardon (We live in Mexico near La Paz the finish line of the Baja 1000). This is about the fourth time now in the last year or two. Thankfully, I now carry a baseball bat with which I was able to hit the dog that grabbed my dog. Broke the bat in the process but it allowed us to get away without any apparent injuries. The attacking dogs ran from behind some vehicle very rapidly and really took us both by surprise.

IMG_0294.jpg

Shoot them sumbitches.
That's what I did.
I heard a disturbance out front and ran outside. Found my 75 year old neighbor being attacked an bitten by the pitbulls that lived across the street. Ran back in the house, got my 38 and shot one dead.
The other one decided to leave.
Longer story, but not relevant here.

If you can't carry there in Mexico, I'd carry a golf club, aluminum bat, machete.

Better yet, a very heavy solid oak walking cane.

Last edited:
In the first place, when I have the chance, I usually throw a rock or two to discourage the approach of dogs loose in the street (this usually discourages them, but not always).

Then I must mention that I have to be careful carrying any kind of a "weapon" to protect us due to a past incident: The first time I used the bat against the leader of a pack of dogs (about five of 'em) was when the rock tossing was not effective. The leader dog attacked my dog and I swung the wooden bat to chase him off. However, due to the fact that the two dogs (my dog still on leash and the aggressive dog) where so tangled up together, my first swing missed and I unintentionally hit my own dog (but not too hard, she was fine afterward). On the second swing I made contact with the mean dog and it ran away while the other dogs in the pack decided to keep their distance. In other words, times of panic, accuracy can go out the window!

I don't know what Mexican law is, but up here they frown on someone carrying a weapon. It's a bit goofy, a concealed firearm is mostly OK, but a knife or club is viewed differently. A baseball bat might be considered a weapon, a walking stick is not. I bought a piece of some kind of exotic hardwood that is super heavy and hard as hell and turned it down to about 1-1/4". Maybe not the same heft as a bat, but it's seriously substantial and at 4' long it provides lots of leverage. Just a thought. Or if a bat is OK in your world, get an aluminum one that is honeycomb filled! Wild dogs, and people who encourage aggressive dogs (and the aggressive dog itself) sometimes need to learn things the hard way.

Carry a bag of dog treats, the mutts are probably just hungry. Blame the owner not the dog.

What type dogs are the loose, mean dogs?
The neighbors here have basically only two breeds of dogs that I can tell, if not a chihuahua then some kind of pit bull. The dogs last night jumped us in the span of about five seconds and then ran off so I could not determine the breed but I would guess were medium size around 25-30 lbs.

Carry a bag of dog treats
The dogs came out of nowhere at night and were already on top of my dog growling and biting in the span of about five seconds so no time to bribe them with treats. This neighborhood seems to be the area where unwanted pets are dumped off. Constantly raiding the garbage cans out front and one by one they seem to form in packs after awhile. Usually my rock throwing keeps them away, but not 100% effective and last night I had no time to employ that tactic at all.

You should look into wasp spray. That has to be legal and I promise it will be an effective deterrent. They shoot 30 ft even with a breeze and if you hit your dog it wont kill it, just painful in the face.

-
Back