Dog Deer chasing law

-

sleeper-oem

Reaction score
I love my dogs and enjoy hunting. Today my dog chased a deer and caught it (not a baby) and bit its rear drew blood; she is a sweetheart but loves to hunt (shes a dog). She was happy as a pig in mud. She is not a hunting dog just a small sheep dog. She didnt kill it and iam sure it will live. Folks are getting mad I told and saying they would shoot her if she chases deer or any other dog. I know there are laws in some states that say they can but if my dogs not on your land or attacking you or your dog then there is no reason to kill and thats crap. I have had folks muts on my land and i would never shoot someones dog unless it attacked my family or livestock. I have have seen them several times in my stand. The Rangers where saying its not fare to deer they are week. I dont know where we get this logic. Animals hunt animals. Most of us eat meat or watch wild animals attack prey on tv for entertainment but when it comes to an animal doing what it does they get bent out of shape. So its ok for us to hunt but not dogs. I would sadly give my dog up if it hurt someone for no reason. I think its gutless to shoot my or any dog if it can get a deer and you cant. I dont understand even shooting some animal by accident. When i hunt if i cant confirm my target is a deer or whatever else im hunting my bow is not draw or gun aimed. So i was pissed to say the least. Dumb laws. We had a guy jump in a deer CAGE here drunk and started a fight with a buck. Then after they killed the deer they claimed he was defending himself. He was not prosecuted for anything. When i hunt i accept that depending on where i am i take the risk of having my hunt ruined by idiots or other animals. Ok rant :protest:eek:ver:toothy5:.

Never is it ok to shoot a domestic dog here in Arkansas.. not unless it is attacking a person/pet/live stock on your property...
We use dogs for hunting bob cat and other game and it is legal..
not all hunts but there is hunts's you can. Like you, if I can not see what I am shooting at I have no reason to be pulling the trigger
I like and enjoy hunting when folks let there dogs run free, they run the deer right to use some times, no we can't shoot dogs unless they are coyotes..

Sorry, They where giving me crap after the fact i just brought it up in casual conversation. " Can you believe that dog caught a deer she can run 40 mph" Then comes the crap. I honestly was worried my dog would get hurt fataly not that deer. I would think unless it was a pack or a big dog there would be no way for a deer to kill one. We can hunt for certain things here with dogs. I just get shocked that somebody would happily shoot a pooch. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night.

Just because the deer is a wild animal and the dog is domesicated makes no difference when it comes to the dog going after the deer, not a thing wrong with it. A dog is a dog, though they are domesticated they still have that animalistic instinct.

Now don't get me wrong if a dog is threatening a person or personal property yeah, handle it.

I arrested a guy for shooting a dog, said he shot it because the dog was chasing wild turkeys.....

Just because the deer is a wild animal and the dog is domesicated makes no difference when it comes to the dog going after the deer, not a thing wrong with it. A dog is a dog, though they are domesticated they still have that animalistic instinct.

Now don't get me wrong if a dog is threatening a person or personal property yeah, handle it.

I arrested a guy for shooting a dog, said he shot it because the dog was chasing wild turkeys....

The ones he was drinking?

What happens off of my property doesn't bother me. If my hunt was spoiled by a wandering dog it's life would depend on if I recognized it as a neighbor's pet or not.

If it was a pet I'd attempt to leash it and return it with a request to keep it tied up. If not, that hunt was ruined anyway.

Doing what dogs do. It's their job, it's their instinct. Just like when dogs protect the homestead and defend against attackers. Not a damn thing wrong with it.

Like people said, only time you shoot a dog is if it's attacking you or a child. Or maybe a mercy killing if it's injured and too far away to get it to proper medical care.

In Minnesota, it is illegal to let your dog chase deer. If they are seen doing it, a dog may be shot. It never happens, but the law is there. Usually if there is a complaint they will come and talk to you and make sure you understand the law so you can prevent it from happening again. Dogs are like any other wild animal, like wolves. If they were left to their instincts, they and other predators can wipe out a deer population. I have personally seen wolves do it here. So they want to keep a handle on it before it gets out of hand. I'm not sure what the law is there, but here it is pretty loosely enforced. It's more about education and warning than killing the animal.

Quote = In Minnesota, it is illegal to let your dog chase deer. If they are seen doing it, a dog may be shot..
In the county there is no leash law, :protest: There should be, unless you have land he/she can run on.... Me, I keep my friend leashed and kenneled at night to keep the free running dogs from getting hurt, Buddy could hurt another dog if he has to defend his self, I don't
know the law on this but I would hope as long as it was on my property I would not be
held reasonable :glasses7: Yes I do wish I could call the law when I see a pack of neighbor's pet's that they let run free at night wonder on my property spreading no telling what :protest:
I bet half of them have not had there shots and carry ticks fleas and worms..
I had a great friend named Socket R.I.P. he was with me 8 years and two labs came up the hill and the to of them attacked while he (Socket) was on a run leash, Socket had one locked down on the ground and the other had Socket in the back :cwm21: I jumped in the middle of it and kicked the one on Socket and they did not stop, I unleashed socket and put my #9 right foot under the chin and he screamed/yelped !!! I had to get Socket under control No!!! No!! grabbed his leash and the other lab got up and ran to the other Lab
I about broke by back and neck that day :coffee2: I know the owner and we all agreed that his 2 boys have been in trouble before for this and asked how Socket was and knew he stays on a leash :-(
I move here on the hill about 5 years ago and this happened the first year, it was a lack of the two labs knowing this was not there area anymore Socket is gone know and was 4 years old at the time.

If I walked out and shot in the air and it did no good :sign3: I would have to shoot the pair of dogs trying to kill it... But I don't have this problem anymore, the labs walk around my property and if they even get 20' from my 2 akers ( sorry I cant spell) They stop because of Buddy and I. They are older know and good dogs, but it's funny to see one getting close and I grab a door knob :D Like I said, I hope I would not have to shoot a dog/dogs for jumping on my leashed and happy friend, and I would.... would I be in the channel 8 news !! I would hope not. :coffee2:

One time the neighbor's dogs came down and killed all but one of my goats. They did not make it back home. Other than that I don't pay to much attention to them if they are passing through or what ever.

Never shot a coyote as they have never gave me any reason to do so.

My dog came in with part of a deer skin just a few nights ago. She did not kill it though. Was road kill from a while back.

-
Back