Dog training question.

-
My one-year-old female Border Collie wanted to herd/chase the horses. Was trying a shock collar for a short time, but she died suddenly one day we left home for a few hours shopping. So my experience with the collar very limited.

Our two-year old female Doberman can't resist chasing cats, chickens, kids. On leash, under quiet conditions, she will stop walking automatically as soon as I stop walking without any command at all. She will also stop with the verbal command "Stop" under the same conditions.

However, in the presence of a cat or any moving thing (child, animal, ball) she has to run after it and completely ignores any of my vocal commands. After training on leash with the average common-place leather collar for six months now, it appears she might just be starting to resist darting after things. Maybe after a couple of more years, or, at this rate, maybe never will she behave calmly.

I will keep trying my slow, patient way/method as a kind of experiment to find out if it is even possible to calm her down completely to the point of trusting her off leash! For some reason, I just don't want to resort to the shock collar with this animal.

choke collar, no question. And the sooner you train her, the better. You are wasting your time attempting to train her with a regular collar on, in fact a regular can often stimulate prey drive.
If you were trying to purposely get a dog wound up, and "launch" it after something, think about how you would do that, that's what you are doing by attempting correction with a regular collar

She has a really high prey drive and will give chase to any animal that runs away.

However, in the presence of a cat or any moving thing (child, animal, ball) she has to run after it and completely ignores any of my vocal commands.

Now that the question about E collars has been addressed, it's better to move on to actual training. An E collar IS a great tool, but training cannot be ignored. Remember, an E collar is something that really should be limited to using for saving the dog's life, in most instances, as in darting away, chasing things etc that could get the dog hit by a car for instance running into a roadway.

TEACH the leave it command. Once the dog has this down 100%, then when it attempts to give chase, a simple "leave it" or whichever word/phrase you choose, the dog should do just that.

Check out Robert Cabral.................listen very carefully to the order of succession. Robert is a dog behaviorist and has some amazing teaching techniques. Be sure and search for his small lectures as well on each subject, it will give a clear picture of how to get the dog where you want it to be.

As I’m reading about the e collar from the comments above, it seems to be a good tool once you train the dog and yourself how to use it. However, I am of the the school to use that time to train the dog how to do what you want it to without the use of any tool. To do this, one must learn to live in your dogs world, and beat them at their own game. They do not understand our world and what we want, but we can understand them and what they want, so I cater to what my dog wants and use that as a reward for things I teach her.

Example...She would do anything to go to the park, but knows that it comes with a variety of different “rules” which must be followed, or no park. So she does them willingly....heeling, no taking off after squirrels or other critters, and no leaving the park. She knows “leave it”, “bring it”, “Give it”, and maybe most importantly “all done”. We have had many “redirections” on our way to the park over the years, my way of teaching her when she’s doing something I dont want her to do. I stop, she sits, but now we’re not on our way to the park anymore, which is completely against what she wants. It doesn’t take long before whatever action I wanted to correct doesn’t happen anymore.

I also have one emergency command, which is a variation of the “click training” method, to use a sound that they normally wouldn’t hear. If you have kids, you know how this goes, you can’t say no because the dog will hear no many times a day in a variety of tones. So I picked an “AHT” sound that stops my dog dead in her tracks. It seems to only be used now when another dog is on the run up to her in an attack type approach.

I enjoy working with my dog, everybody else sees it as a burden, but that’s why my dog loves me so much. I take the time to get to know her on our trips, and she enjoys it so much she would do anything to make it happen again and again. Beat at her own puppy game!!

I have a German shepherd who is my service dog. Took me going to a K9 trainer to not worry about running so maybe find a local k9 trainer.

received_10156214216677433-1.jpg

-
Back