Domed area under Side Mirror - Damaged or Intended? - 67 Valiant

-

Harold Wolk

Reaction score
Hi folks and happy 2022! In regards to my 67 Val Signet ... I removed my side mirror today, in prep for painting, and discovered this 'domed area' where the stud goes into the interior of the door. Is this damage from someone tightening the nut, w/captured washer, too much or should this 'dome' be there? Yours in wonderment.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 15.28.55 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 15.28.55.jpeg

Mine is worse... I think is should be straight but I suspect they all were like that after leaving the factory because Bob who bolted on the mirrors needed to re-calibrate the torque on his wrench....

Mine is worse... I think is should be straight but I suspect they all were like that after leaving the factory because Bob who bolted on the mirrors needed to re-calibrate the torque on his wrench....
Thanks for the input. That was my thought too especially after seeing the little 'indents' from seemingly the washer being over tightened. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has an opinion or if it can be caulked up to Bob the Bolt Boy working thru anger issues!

Too tight. But... people grab on them, bump into them...they become loose and need re tightening ..and it pulls the body with it.

Too tight. But... people grab on them, bump into them...they become loose and need re tightening ..and it pulls the body with it.
Good insight. Makes sense. When I saw the 'washer mark indents', things began to look suspicious!

-
Back