dominator on the street

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
this is just out of curiosity, why is a dominatorcarb not a good street carb, even the small 750 dominator is not recomended as a streetcarb by knowledgeable people wich to mee is confusing since i just look at it as a dubble pumper with giant butterflies and airbleeds not present on a normal dubblepumper but it is still pretty small around the boosters where i thougt high airspeed would be of good use, and they are suposed to be anular boosters.
please dont take this topic the wrong way i just like to learn why something isnt good instead of just learning that it is no good :thumbup:

Dominators usually have 1:1 linkage on the throttle shafts but you can get a progressive linkage dominator. I guessing you want to run a dominator for the badness look being you are asking about the 750 size. They are tough looking carbs. There are so many variations of dominators when it comes to boosters, throttle linkage, idle circuits, metering etc. The problem is most of the options are on the larger cfm carbs not the 750.

This is a good guestion, let me look at my old notes, I ran a dominator on my Stage 1 Buick in the early 80's and I drove it on the street.

Have a look at this if you scroll down it shows the 0-80186-1 750 Dominator as a street/strip application
http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carburetor Quick Reference.pdf

Chuck

340mopar said:
Dominators usually have 1:1 linkage on the throttle shafts but you can get a progressive linkage dominator. I guessing you want to run a dominator for the badness look being you are asking about the 750 size. They are tough looking carbs. There are so many variations of dominators when it comes to boosters, throttle linkage, idle circuits, metering etc. The problem is most of the options are on the larger cfm carbs not the 750.

This is a good guestion, let me look at my old notes, I ran a dominator on my Stage 1 Buick in the early 80's and I drove it on the street.

Chuck

i have one in my garage that i found in good shape for a real nice price so i just had to buy it and it has progresive linkage on it.
just love to know more about it since so many people says they are not for the street, i would have tried it without asking why it would not work if it had not been for money and work to make a adaptorplate wich may be useles if it would be imposible to make it work:) and i love to learn stuff
thanks for taking your time :thumbup:

340mopar said:

Have a look at this if you scroll down it shows the 0-80186-1 750 Dominator as a street/strip application
http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carburetor Quick Reference.pdf

Chuck

nice to here that, whas it hard to tune in to work on the street? what size carb whas it on that455 (?)

thanks for the help:D

I ran a 1050, it had more pull at the topend because of the CFM but throttle response was down a little on the street at slow speeds. But loosing a little low speed torgue didn't really hurt it any, especially with a 455 and street tires.

Chuck

-
Back