Done with Magnum Swap!

-

Walker434

Reaction score
Okay I swapped my 5.9 Magnum in my 71 Dart this weekend and just wanted to show a few pictures and go ever what we had to do in case this will help anyone else that plans this swap. It went really well over all.

We started at my Buddies shop about 6 on Friday night after I got off work. By midnight we had the old tired LA 318 out, had cleaned the engine bay and swapped over anything I was using off the old motor on to the new magnum. Sorry I didn't take more pics but it was cold and we were in a hurry.

We had to enlongate one of the holes in the crank pulley to get it on the magnum balancer. As expected we also had to enlongate one hole on the flexplate so it would bolt to my 318 stall converter. The driver's side 318 mount would not have worked but luckily I had purchased a 360 style from Shuamacker. I had also previously ground off the magnum style motor mount on the driver's side to clear my headers.

It was a total B&%ch to get the old HUGE chrysler starter out becuase my headers were in the way. I took some FABO advise at this point and went to the parts store and purchased a starter for a 95 Dodge Dakota with a 318. This starter is half the size, half the weight and sounds like my old one on CRACK!! Money well spent!

The swap went well and there were no huge supprises. BIG thanks to magnumswap.com and everyone here who helped me in advance.

This magnum engine is AMAZING by the way. It runs awesome and was a junkyard 80,000 mile engine. I didn't touch the bottom end just did some head work, cam, air gap and Holley 750 DP. Soon I will be posting in the fuel and air section for advice on some fine tuning.

I hope to be posting in the 12 second racing section soon!!

Attachments

• Engine Swap 1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • Engine Swap 2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,234
  • Engine Swap 3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,275
Congrats! Mine is bare block in the basement right now. I am interested to know why the 318 mount wouldn't work, because it was too wide?

Was missing an ear that mounts to the 360 block. I wish now my hands weren't so greasy so I would have taken more pics of everything!

Did you take care of the offset balance while you were filing the slots for the converter? Or does the Magnum need external balance help, like the LA's?

Thanks ABODY!! The 360 magnums are externally balanced but not the same as an LA 360 therefore you have to run a magnum balancer and flexplate. I am using the stock flexplate that came with my 01 Magnum engine. I got the balancer off a 96 magnum engine becuase back then they still had the bolt on crank pulley it was just for a serpentine belt. So, I unbolted my crank pulley off my LA 318 and just had to open up one hole to get it to bolt right to my 96 magnum balancer.

I reused my nuetral balanced 318 torque converter becuase it is a 2,500 stall. I just had to open up one of the flex plate holes and it bolted right up. Now I have no vibrations (other than the cam shaking the car) and with the more powerful engine the torque converter now stalls more like 2,800 RPM!!

360 drivers side motor mount, grind down old magnum drivers side motor mount pad on drivers side of block, magnum balancer, magnum flexplate. I think thats about it. Other than that its the same as swapping an LA motor.

I installed a 96 360 magnum in a 71 dart about 3 yrs. ago, Car was just like yours, same color too, they look like twins lol, anyways, It had a factory 8.3/4, All i did with the 360 was install some RHS heads (factory's were cracked) & had the factory cam re-ground from Bullet 477/477, 218/218 @50 112 LSA, Installed an Air-Gap intake & a 650dp, 4.10 gears & a 2800 stall, Car ran 12.5s @ 105 on every pass, 1.80 60ft. times on 275/60/15 MT DRs, It was so efficient all it liked was 30* total timing, i tried 32* & it slowed, It ran a best of 8.06 in the 1/8 at 85, I install a 125 plate system on it, On its only decent pass it ran 7.4s @95 & i let out just a bit, the rest were a joke, blew the tires every pass. I only shifted at 5000 with that engine, thats how mild it was, That night i ran with the bottle was a crappy night, DA was up, car ran 8.2s @ 83 on motor.

So what i'm saying is this, "JUICE IT" & hang on :burnout:

Somebody asked for more pics so here they are. That is funny that you have to same color of car and the same tires (MT 275/60/15). Juice is in the future I just wanted to play around with just the motor until I get bored. My friend just bought a 70 chevelle with a 454 so we will just see if I need the juice to beat him. Haven't lined them up yet.

Attachments

• Big Tire.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Dart 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,042
Whats done to his 454? Its real easy to run low-mid 12s in a full bodied chevelle with a 454 if it has a few goodies, I'm running a very mild 469 BBC in my G bodied Cutlass & loving it.

Those 71 Swingers are light, alot lighter then most think. Car looks great, mine looked very close to yours, i'll see if i can post a pic or 2, you'll freak lol, Did you check out the video?

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 968
  • 090.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 986
  • 032.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 088.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 932
Heres more.

Home made sub-frame ties, As you can see in the one pic, i replaced the whole roof skin, the vinyl top took the original one out.

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 989
  • 117.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 064.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 981
I've got a 73 Dart that I bought as a rolling chassis. It originally was a slant 6 car but I have a 94 Ram with a 318/5spd I'd like to use in the Dart. You guys think this would swap the same as your 5.9? I'm going to try to use the factory fuel injection and pull all the wiringing etc from the truck that I need. Give me your opinions and any advice you have. My car will be mainly a road trip car. Thanks.

Walker and 451 - Seems it was a popular year and color scheme. I too have one, started like as a /6 to a 440/727 - narrowed 8 3/4 with 295/65/15'.

I like your swap and have been watching your other threads where you went to the track - curious to see you numbers and times.

At this time my best is 12:80 - however I am newbie, my driving can improve a lot and the DA where I go is on average 6500 DA.

Please keep posting, very enjoyable both of you.

Charles

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 923
  • photo 1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 910
Walker and 451 - Seems it was a popular year and color scheme. I too have one, started like as a /6 to a 440/727 - narrowed 8 3/4 with 295/65/15'.

I like your swap and have been watching your other threads where you went to the track - curious to see you numbers and times.

At this time my best is 12:80 - however I am newbie, my driving can improve a lot and the DA where I go is on average 6500 DA.

Please keep posting, very enjoyable both of you.

Charles

I'd say the car will run in the 11s at sea level no problem. Looks good.

I've got a 73 Dart that I bought as a rolling chassis. It originally was a slant 6 car but I have a 94 Ram with a 318/5spd I'd like to use in the Dart. You guys think this would swap the same as your 5.9? I'm going to try to use the factory fuel injection and pull all the wiringing etc from the truck that I need. Give me your opinions and any advice you have. My car will be mainly a road trip car. Thanks.

It should, i'd go for the 360 magnum & just carb it. You'll need to run an electric fuel pump, so its best to either sump the stock tank or run a cell, You could fuss with all the EFI wiring but i wouldn't.

I installed a 96 360 magnum in a 71 dart about 3 yrs. ago, Car was just like yours, same color too, they look like twins lol, anyways, It had a factory 8.3/4, All i did with the 360 was install some RHS heads (factory's were cracked) & had the factory cam re-ground from Bullet 477/477, 218/218 @50 112 LSA, Installed an Air-Gap intake & a 650dp, 4.10 gears & a 2800 stall, Car ran 12.5s @ 105 on every pass, 1.80 60ft. times on 275/60/15 MT DRs, It was so efficient all it liked was 30* total timing, i tried 32* & it slowed, It ran a best of 8.06 in the 1/8 at 85, I install a 125 plate system on it, On its only decent pass it ran 7.4s @95 & i let out just a bit, the rest were a joke, blew the tires every pass. I only shifted at 5000 with that engine, thats how mild it was, That night i ran with the bottle was a crappy night, DA was up, car ran 8.2s @ 83 on motor.

So what i'm saying is this, "JUICE IT" & hang on :burnout:

Joe, I've got the same build with RHS heads waiting to go. Mine will be a 4 spd, shortened .410 8.8. Yours was part of the inspiration, in fact through the pm grapevine some of your advice was passed along to me so thanks for that.

Looking forward to see how this one performs. :coffee2:

Joe, I've got the same build with RHS heads waiting to go. Mine will be a 4 spd, shortened .410 8.8. Yours was part of the inspiration, in fact through the pm grapevine some of your advice was passed along to me so thanks for that.

Looking forward to see how this one performs. :coffee2:

Thanks, I was really surprised how well it responded to nitrous, did you check out the video in my sig., i ran up against a factory 69 Yenko 427 Camaro 4sp., i wasn't on the bottle in that pass, he ran a 12.4 to my 12.5, we were neck & neck.

-
Back