Donor car, what to pull off

-

65rbdodge

Reaction score
I just got a 2006 jeep commander with a 5.7 besides the motor what should I pull off this as far as electrical? I drove it home, $200 couldn’t pass that up.

I’m newish to hemis, is any of the spark/fuel controls able to be swapped and used? What should I remove?

Everything.

Screws and bolts get overlooked.

There are parts on my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that are only available used. And they are few and far behond

Well, you called it a "donor", so I'm guessing the engine at least is going to get swapped into something else... so here's a word to the wise:
Don't touch a thing. Yet. Keep it whole for as long as you can.
As your swap progresses, you are going to find a lot more things you need than can ever be put on a list here. Wire harnesses/connectors, sensors, body control modules, brackets, mounts, heck, some guys have swapped in the entire dash just to simplify (?) the installation. And all you'll have to do is walk over to the vehicle and grab them.
Plus, leaving it whole keeps it mobile (life can get in the way of even the most well-planned project) so you can move it around with a minimum of fuss. You can still start it up occasionally to keep things functional- there's nothing worse for an engine than to sit stagnant for five years while life sorts itself out- lifters stick, injectors gum up, fuel goes bad and causes all kinds of issues. And you don't have to try to remember how it all goes back together, because you lost all the pictures you took when your phone went for a swim in the toilet last New Year's Eve...

Haha ok. I would love to keep it whole but I was just planning on pulling the motor and whatever else I need and scrapping/selling it. I have 3 mopar cars that run/drive with new motors. Working on a 96 Dakota now and doing a hemi swap(have motor together already, going aftermarket with the ignition/intake) this jeep was just offered to me cheap so I bought it to pull the motor for a future swap.

Pretty sure the engine harness can be used for a simple swap with parts from DIYHemi (now Sublime Parts). Or they have one coming. They have several YT videos of swapping a 5.7 into a D150 using a Commander as a donor.

Ooooof I thought I’d have this motor out by noon today, I forgot how challenging it is to work on 4x4s. Maybe it’ll be out later in the week

Look up prices on ebay and go from there. If it's going to be junked anyway might as well. The stereo, seats, carpet, door panels, sun visors, mirrors can all bring good cash.

-
Back