Don't have "demon carburetion" but you might call it that

-

TylerW

Reaction score
I swear, if I ever get my '71 Plymouth to simply run reliably, I'll be the happiest man around.

Back a couple months ago I was running a Holley 2280, and fighting stuck float issues. After lots of work I threw in the towel and rebuilt a basic late 60's low-top BBD.

That carburetor runs much better than the Holley ever did, but now IT'S acting up!

The first time I took it out on the highway I didn't take long to realize that everytime I try to accelerate more than 1/3 throttle, it goes over on it's face like it's gonna die.

Let off, it picks back up. I brought it back to the shop and revved it as high as I dared in Park and held it and I can't make it run out of gas or stumble.

The first thing that comes to mind is the power piston, but I thought that is spring loaded in the up position and drawn down by vacuum.

The fuel pump, lines etc are new. I'll dig into it, thoughts are welcome.

How much fuel pressure do you have and what fuel volume do you have?
Do you have correct timing and vacumn advance working?
That being said,your problem is adjustment in the carb,float,passages and jets,power piston,etc,it needs to be gone over and the right way.Do the mixture screws work correctly,idle goes up and down with the turn of the screws.Mrmopartech

-
Back