Door adjustments after hinge repair on a 65

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I had to fix my lower door hinge on my 65 Valiant 4 Door on the driver's door. It works good now. The lower plastic bushing was broken so I put in a bronze bushing and it's good now. I just knew it would be a pain to readjust the door when I bolted it back on. I tried to put the hinges back where the paint wear marks were but it's still off a little. The door seemed to shut all the way nicely and close properly until I installed fresh weatherstripping that's all puffy now. Now it sticks out too far after you shut it. But I'm not sure what to adjust. Do I loosen the hinges on the cowl or at the door. I tried a little with the hinges at the door and it didn't really change anything. I had the same amount of trouble on my 73 Charger. Door alignment is not my thing. I just need to get it closer than it is now so it at least closes all the way. Oh yeah the pins had already been bushed before so there was no play in the hinge pins.

Take the striker out first. Then push the door closed and see how it fits. If it is still out too far you can tap the pinch weld that the door seal sits on back a bit. The seal will naturally compress a bit after time. Once you get the door to fit good you fit the striker to the door, not the door to the striker. Hold the handle push button in and open and close the door slightly until you cannot hear the latch hitting the striker. Adjust the striker up and down while it is snug until it is directly in the center of the latch.

-
Back