door glass

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
not sure if this is right place to post but My drivers side glass has a lot of slop in it. You can grab is and move it left and right a lot so I am getting a gap where window meet quarter glass. well unless I move window back before I close door. I assume there is clips that go back. anyone know the name and/or pic of what I am looking for. A place that sells will help to

not sure if this is right place to post but My drivers side glass has a lot of slop in it. You can grab is and move it left and right a lot so I am getting a gap where window meet quarter glass. well unless I move window back before I close door. I assume there is clips that go back. anyone know the name and/or pic of what I am looking for. A place that sells will help to

Yes, You have to take the door panel off to see . If I remember right there is an adjustment screw about midway down below the door latch and the other adjuster is inside the door around the window crank area. A shop manual really helps here.

so it can be adjusted and not replaced?

If I'm understanding you correctly it should adjust. You should be able to adjust so that the front and rear windows align and fit . I'm not sure about the clips your talking about but give R/T specialties a call . They have most everything for window tracks and such.

Attachments

• dart002.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 281
You should also know that there are a number of pieces involved which do wear over time, specifically some plastic rollers that may need to be replaced. You might not notice if you aren't looking for it. Good luck!

There is sometimes (depending on year) two pieces that connect to the bottom of the glass to hold the roller assembly to the glass.
They loosen up with age and will pivot forward and aft allowing the entire glass to do the same thing.
Bad rollers will also let it move for and aft, so it could be either one or both causing it.

its only this one and letting just that front one that moves, so its makes window crooked. Not sure whats behind that bolt but thats where it moves

Attachments

• 1430846410401[1].jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 220
its only this one and letting just that front one that moves, so its makes window crooked. Not sure whats behind that bolt but thats where it moves

That is the upper limit stop for the forward track. The 2 nuts just below allow in and out adjustment of the track.

Number 1 is the part that I mentioned that connects to the glass and it has a roller down farther that you can't see in the track itself.
One of those parts is made to pivot to allow the rollers to not bind up with the track, and the other one on the glass is not supposed to move. (this one keeps the glass from moving for and aft.)

2 is the stop that limits the travel of the glass so it doesn't go up to high.
3 are the in and out adjustments that determine where your glass ends up contacting the seal at the top of the window opening. (test by moving that adjustment with the window all the way up.)
That same adjustment determines how much pressure your glass puts on the quarter window vertical seal.

Wait till you start leveling the glass in the opening front to rear.:)
That's a fun one, and I can explain it to you in detail when the time comes.

Some people would be shocked to see what mods I have made to some of these parts :D
In my drivers door all the rollers are solid nylon about 3/8 thick and the pins they ride on have all been replaced with fine thread 1/4 inch bolts and nylon lock nuts.
It not only replaced some broken rollers with something a lot tougher, but gave me 4 more points of glass adjustability.
Of course it took me all of one day to do one door, but man what a difference.

Attachments

• rollers.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 207
anyone got pics of what I need to replace for number one? Maybe place to look for it?

anyone got pics of what I need to replace for number one? Maybe place to look for it?

It looks a little bit like this picture, but for some reason I can't find a pic of the actual part.
You might not have to replace it.
The metal round part I circled is the nut that holds the part to the glass and the nylon pieces go between the nut and the other metal part to protect the glass from the metal.

That nut loosens up because of deterioration of the pads (nylon in the picture) and lets the glass move around.
I used inner tube rubber for new pads and tightened the nut up and it worked great.

(That nut is on the back side of the glass from you when you are in the door)
Roll the glass about half way and you can feel it back there.

I used hooked nose needle nose pliers to tighten it, otherwise it takes a special tool.
(Note the two holes on each side of the center threaded hole)

You can do it by taking the glass out of the door also, because those can come out with it.
It is also one of the parts I replaced the roller and stud with a thick nylon washer and threaded adjustable stud as I mentioned in an above post.

Attachments

• glassroller.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 175
I was just messing with the ds door on 67 cuda. What a pain in the kack! Window would roll down no problem, then the last 1/2" or so it would "drop/tilt" to the quarter glass. Then I would have to open the door to roll the window up. It "wedged" to the 1/4 glass. Plastic rollers in the front leading rail were all good. I simply adjusted the lower stop and now the window stops with about 1/4" of glass showing. I took some pics, but wont do any good for your car.
Good luck!

-
Back