Door guard come off?

-

MLC Dodge

Reaction score
The family car door guard is hurting my muscle car image. Can this be taken off without destroying the paint? I was able to peel a little off and it looks lie the color is the same beneath. I thought about using a hair dryer to heat the glue holding it on to get it more easily. Anyone done this before? I'm trying to avoid a repaint.

DSCN3266.jpg

If it has doublesided tape you can take a piece of 20# test fishing line and wrap each end around a couple of screwdrivers or wooden dowl and pull it through the tape releasing the molding.

Are you sure that the silver part isn't aluminum?? That looks like the old style aftermarket bodyside molding. The aluminum is riveted to the car and the center black rubber snaps into the aluminum strip.

Yea, to be safe try to pull out the black strip first.
Then if it looks like it's just double sided tape then you can get it off there.
Never tried the line to cut the tape as the line would just cut the foam and leave the adhesive with foam stuck on it to deal with.
I dribble mineral spirits along the top edge of the strip thats glued on (the tape glue) and give it a couple of hours.
Seperates really easy afterwards, then a rag with mineral spirits to clean off the rest of the glue.

Mineral spirits is a nice gentle solvent that wont destroy the paint.

Funny thing is, charcol lighter is almost exactly the same as mineral spirits.

Look in the trunk at the quarters and see if you see any clips or studs coming through the body holding them on.

Yea, to be safe try to pull out the black strip first.
Then if it looks like it's just double sided tape then you can get it off there.
Never tried the line to cut the tape as the line would just cut the foam and leave the adhesive with foam stuck on it to deal with.

Ahh! That is where the eraser comes to play!! Best thing ever! Its like a rubber wheel on an arbor. It fits in most cordless drills and makes minced meat of any foam or adhesive left by cutting through the tape. Best thing is it won't damage the paint!!

-
Back