Door hinge bolt washer question

-

JimK

Reaction score
When I took my Dart to the paint shop they took the doors off and threw all the hinge and bolts in a box. There were also six, roughly 1/8" thick washers in there. They took so long to paint the car that when they were putting the doors back on they didn't know where these washers were supposed to go. Does anyone know which bolts they go on? I'm thinking maybe they go on the bolts that are on the body side of the top hinge but I don't know.

Don't know what year you're working with but late 60's to 70's era models: Bolts with small diameter washers go hinge to door. Bolts with larger diameter washers are hinge to cowl. All washers are captured (normally, not loose). That's 5 bolts in the door, 6 on the cowl half (each side).

Last edited:
I have all of the bolts in their proper holes and yes, the bolts with the large diameter washers are on the hinge to the cowl. But, there were the six large, thick loose washers also. I'm thinking maybe some of the bolts had an additional washer, perhaps for additional strength to support the hinge?

Were fenders removed? You'll find washers (thick or thin) used as shims at the bottom of the fenders where they bolt to the rockers.

I have all of the bolts in their proper holes and yes, the bolts with the large diameter washers are on the hinge to the cowl. But, there were the six large, thick loose washers also. I'm thinking maybe some of the bolts had an additional washer, perhaps for additional strength to support the hinge?
Someone might have shimmed a hinge away from the body at some point or a door rearward instead of replacing bushings or adjusting it properly. If you can get your adjustments your good. No additional washers necessary.

Last edited:
Were fenders removed? You'll find washers (thick or thin) used as shims at the bottom of the fenders where they bolt to the rockers.

Yes, they were but all of the washers for the bolts at the bottom rear of the fenders were accounted for.

There can be shims at the top of the fender too but it's doubtful they came from there. If everything fits together with good gaps, then you may not need to worry about it. I wouldn't bother adding them to any of the hinge bolts. They won't help anything unless, as George mentioned, someone added them to "fix" another problem. And if that's the case then you need to address the problem.

A close photo of the washers might provide a clue. What makes you think they were under hinge bolts?

-
Back